New Prop for Ranger Fish N Ski

Hello everyone. Long time reader first time poster. I am looking for a bit better perfomance end out of my Ranger 397V. Current Stats are as follows

Make Ranger 397V
    19' 1465lbs
    Engine: Mercury 2.0L Black Max (vintage 1994)
    RPM @ WOT 6000
    Prop: Turning Point aluminum 14X21P
    MPH @ wot 46
    Load Light fishing, 20 gal gas and 2 fishermen (400lbs)
    Engine is raised up 1 Hole.

It seems there is very little speed change between 4500 and 6000 rpm. Maybe a 5mph difference if that. Boat planes very quickly and is a pleasure to drive in most conditions. I'd love to get some recommendations on prop and setup where i can possible get a bit better speed, but just as important, improved mid range speed and better use of the entire power band.
    Thanks...

I would try a 19P Trophy Plus

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

^^^^^^^^
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

4. Member
    Mike

Thanks for the response. So you think dropping the pitch with the Trophy would still keep me in the higher wot range and improve performance? I have heard good things about that particular prop.

Do you have a friend that has a 21 Mercury Hi-Five. Might wake that rig up.

6. Member
    Garfish,

The original owner of the boat had a 22p high five on his blown Xr6 150. I used it on my rebuilt 2.0 and didn't like the performance of it. They Aluminum is faster on plane and top end. I am actually selling the High Five.

7. Member
    I use to own a 1997 397XT with a 200EFI Merc. The best all around prop on that setup was a 23P Trophy. It would run 62-63 MPH @ 6000 RPM. I would try a 21 Trophy on it. Also, raise your engine up as high as it will go.

-Eli

8. Member
    Tj, Thanks I guess i'll have to hunt around for one and give it a try. I will take a look at the engine height. On these old Rangers is it measured from the pad or bottom of the v?

9. Member
    I am not sure exactly what your transom looks like. My 97 was a "VS" hull with the built in setback. My optimum height for the Trophy was 4" below the pad.

-Eli

10. Member
    TJ.. Thanks. the "pad" confuses me a bit on my ranger. It seems i have what looks like 3 steps. Semi V in the back, Then a flat pad and another flat pad... I am still learning.

11. Member
    Bottom of pad is the lowest point of the boat pad flat, V or round not the chine steps

12. Member
    It has been a while since i made this post, so i thought i would update a little. First of all.. My current set up is 3.5" Prop to Pad. After a lot of searching and failed ebay attempts at a trophy prop (my cfo/wife gave me a "budget" that was not realistic) I stumbled upon a couple of Laser II props for a GREAT price. 1 is a 21P and the other a 23P. I got around to testing them on Saturday with some interesting results. Both Props (all vents open) had great hole shot and mid-range, acceleration, drive-ability (improved bow lift but i think i can stand more) etc were much better than my 21P Aluminum. Both the 21 and 23 Ran at 50mph (GPS) at 6000 rpm i had some throttle room on the 21P. I have ordered vent plugs in order to see if that changes the characteristics of both props. I am leaning towards getting rid of the 21 and working with the 23 until i can find a Trophy at a reasonable price or possibly look at a Solas Titan HR series in either a 3 or 4 blade.

13. Member
    Only thing vents plugs help with is holeshot or prop blow out when taking off...they have no effect on top end..
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

14. Member
    Bruce. Thanks for the information. As an update. I was able to try an older turbo prop today. Prop is 14 1/4 24p. I figured why not and was expecting dismal results. Boat planed well maybe a second or 2 longer than the laser. Wot 5800 and 52 mph. Mid range cruising speed below 5k was 44-46. Bow lift was better as was the ride improved greatly. Biggest issue is torque steer and I'll adjust the tab on the lower unit. I am actually thinking about brining the engine up to see if I can get any additional gains. Not sure I can turn a bigger prop.

15. Member
    I use a 24p high five on mine and it does great on take offs but lacks top end ... I might get 46 mph at 6000 rpm in my 97 merc 200 efi engine,,,mI know it Coukd go faster with better setup,,,, just wondering what everyone else is using on their 397xt

16. Member
    All three props your running slip like crazy (over 20%) with the 21 laser II being the best of the three and it needs work. All laser II prop need some cupping to get any real bow lift out of it. Takeum put a trophy on it