Thread: 7 round plug

7 round plug

My trailer was recently damaged when it was back into by a car. Insurance is fixing the damage and I am going to have the entire trailer Rhino Lined. I am also going to take the time and rewire the entire trailer as it is a 17 year old EZ loader.

Has anyone ever removed the 5-flat plugin and hardwired a 7 round plug? It seems like every truck out there now was a 7 round connection and it would be nice to no longer have to carry the adapter around.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    My biggest complaint from my equipment and stock trailers is that the big 7-pin plug tends to hit the ground more in storage because of the weight.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    My biggest complaint from my equipment and stock trailers is that the big 7-pin plug tends to hit the ground more in storage because of the weight.
    I used this (or similar to it) on a trailer I had and it worked great Try the Crawford Spring Grip; $4, acehardware.com. It will give you the idea of what I'm talking about. It is just a push in spring loaded old style clip that you used to see around all the time that was used to hold brooms, mops and such.
    Rocket

4. Member
    You will need to pay attention to the wiring on the tow vehicle if you do that. Standard 7 pin wiring is the blue wire, pin 3 at 5 o'clock, supplies power to electric trailer brakes. Most boat trailers that have brakes have hydraulic brakes and use a solenoid to keep them from activating in reverse. some people use a blue wire for this. you do not want to hook this blue wire to the blue wire on the tow vehicle side. this will keep the brakes from working properly. You will want to hook the lock out solenoid to the purple wire, center pin, on the 7 pin connector. that is the reverse light circuit.

Wal-Mart adapter.
    Life is kinda hard but it's
    better than the other options .. er ..option !

I would not want that big plug on my trailer.. In a case that you need someone else to pull your rig in an emergency, The 4-5 flat may be needed.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    I have the 7 pin plug with the 5 wire connection built into the back of it. I used nylon zip ties to hold the 5 pin to it semi-permanantly, and connect and disconnect using the 7 pin plug. I see no reason not to use a 7 pin plug permanantly and eliminate the 5 pin connection.

8. Member
    I you go to the 7 pin round, and your truck is setup for it, You can connect a wire to the always hot 12v pin and provide 12v to your boat to at least charge your starting battery on the way to and from the lake. If you have the proper equipment in your boat you can also charge your trolling motor batteries.

I would not expect more than 5 to 10 amp output though. Every little bit helps.
    Last edited by Team Dougherty; 05-18-2017 at 02:22 PM.

do the 7 wire metal male/female last forever. then can install back up lights on trailer. etc. I have 2 females on my truck . 1 side for Boat trailers other for Travel Trailer, Horse, flat bed and electric brakes/.. All trailers I have back up lights on. *** Have extra 7 wire to 4 wire adapter I keep in Glove box.*** In case ever pull some elses trailer with just 4 wire. and I also new wired the Boat trailer with standard 4 wire , in case some one w/o the 7 wire , ever pulls my trailer to lake while I pull camper. Now for the fun part, was a PIA in a way. But another done forever endeavor. I bought 7 wire off roll from a local semi truck parts dealer or if one close even a semi trailer dealer. some camper sales parts dept has 7 wire on a bulk roll. the fun part was to gently cut into wire where had to connect to marker , tail or backup light. I used plain bare metal butt connectors w/o the blue plastic , got the plain from truck parts . covered splices butts with heat shrink tubing 100# water proof. and went ahead and silicone that and plastic split wire loom , for anti- chaffing or rubbing over the years. A 1 Time forever project.. and so any trailer I want to pull no hassle.. I Added extra marker lights to Boat Trailers so It's lot more visible at night , besides looking cool

Quote Originally Posted by yukongt View Post
    My trailer was recently damaged when it was back into by a car. Insurance is fixing the damage and I am going to have the entire trailer Rhino Lined. I am also going to take the time and rewire the entire trailer as it is a 17 year old EZ loader.

Has anyone ever removed the 5-flat plugin and hardwired a 7 round plug? It seems like every truck out there now was a 7 round connection and it would be nice to no longer have to carry the adapter around.
    YES -- and YES !!!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7081_200327081

I cut the flat end off and wired it directly in. Works great and being a coiled wire, it hangs over the tongue and doesn't drag the floor.
    2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post

I cut the flat end off and wired it directly in. Works great and being a coiled wire, it hangs over the tongue and doesn't drag the floor.
    I have been considering doing the exact same thing.

I think mine came from Gebos farm store.. It is solid black but the boat end had no plug just bare wires ready to attach.
    Makes for a very nice setup..

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post

This is exactly what i have on both the boat and utility trailers. I soldered everything with heat shrink so nice sealed and solid connection makes an awesome setup. Got a spring clip on ebay for like $2 and use that for storage. Probly the cleanest most convenient setup i have ever seen. I hate adapters. Also as far as having the right plug for multiple vehicles. Anything thats worth towing anything comes factory with a 7 round. Yet to see a vehicle with a 5 flat plug factory. Light duty stuff comes with 4 flat.
    Here is mine. I dont see how it could get much cleaner
    IMG_5910.jpg IMG_5911.jpg
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax;843888......................... ...Here is mine. I dont see how it could get much cleaner :wink:
    [IMG
    http://www.bbcboards.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=285311&stc=1[/IMG]
    Disgustingly good. I am gonna hide mine, after seeing yours. Nice truck on your avitar. I sold one like that for $650.00 about 10 years ago, felt like I pulled one over on the buyer. Oops.

Hey Bill , notice Roy's Pin on the swing away?? some one musta stole his OEM one?? Clear PIC ! I don't even have to have glasses on . I Like the pic posts.. I finally figured out why my pics sucks on cell phone.. factory had a small clear sticky cover on the dang lens .. 4 years on it

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Disgustingly good. I am gonna hide mine, after seeing yours. Nice truck on your avitar. I sold one like that for $650.00 about 10 years ago, felt like I pulled one over on the buyer. Oops.
    Thanks guys. I never liked the 4 flat the boat came with when i rewired the trailer i did everything exactly how i wanted it to be. Thanks on the truck getting harder to find these in good shape mine has been around a long time 13 years for me and 30 years for dad prior.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    Hey Bill , notice Roy's Pin on the swing away?? some one musta stole his OEM one?? Clear PIC ! I don't even have to have glasses on . I Like the pic posts.. I finally figured out why my pics sucks on cell phone.. factory had a small clear sticky cover on the dang lens .. 4 years on it
    That is the orinal pin its just a little sun faded lol. Idk how these pics are so good just did it with my ipad.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

I use a Reese Towpower Adapter
    It has 4 or 5 pin flat and a test light too
    Less than $20 at Autozone

Attached Images Attached Images

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

I hated using adapters. I bought 7 way round plugs with 6' lead cable on ebay for all 3 of my trailers. Now, I just plug and go. Easy to do if you pay attention to the wiring, but before you solder, test the function of each line first. Soldered and then adhesive lined heat shrink tube on mine, then I put a wire loom over and then wrapped with exterior grade 3M black tape. I bought 6' but each was cut to the length needed at the time of install.