Thread: Rod Buckles

Rod Buckles

I upgradedon't from a 2006 Tr186 to a 2016 Trx 189. The retractable rod buckles on the new boat are horrible. Actually lost a rod last year while towing. I talked to Triton about an upgrade to the old style and they said this is the only one they now use. Anyone changed theirs out?

2. Member
    Mine are a different brand but work the same

Really you lost a rod? I really like the rod buckles. How did you lose a rod? Were they latched all the way down?

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

4. Banned
    Are you strapping the reel end? I beat the dickens out of my boat and my rods stay put. Maybe you're straps don't have enough tension? Head to the dealer and check against other boats on the lot.

Toss the rubber that breaks & rots,, get the Velcro kind. 1st and only I installed 28 years ago still like new! Never No Issues
    I put 5 rods and Handle of aluminum long handle fish net also
    Last edited by Bass AHolic; 05-18-2017 at 06:49 AM.

6. Member
    There was a guy on here three or four years ago that was strapping them down by the tip. He lost a few and broke a few more before he figured it out.

7. Member
    I have taken my reels off my musky rods every year for the last ten years with my old boat for a trip to Canada. The old straps held the rods tight. These new straps won't hold them tight to deck. I now carry them alongside the passenger seat but would like straps like the old boat had.

8. Member
    Sounds like you were LUCKY ten years in a row, maybe a trip to Vegas instead of Canada The rod straps are really intended to hold rods with reels. The reels keep the rods from sliding under the straps as you have found out.

9. Banned
    At $350+ per rod... no chances!!
    ..Now..I use two (on each side) of the stretchy style Rod Savers.. ..one about a 14-16 inches in front (towards the bow) of the stock strap and the other is about 2 feet from the console (I have a DC) and repeat each side. I place the stretch strap over (between the knobs) the reel handles (reel handles facing up).. this prevents them from sliding either way. The stock strap is across the rods about the first guide and the other stretchy strap holds down the top of the rods...

I NEVER had an issue after rigging the deck so the rods NEVER MOVE!! I have slammed through ROUGH water and they never move!!