Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by hse87 View Post
    I don't know of any maintenance job that pays the money some are speaking of if you ara a contractor unless you live at these plants chasing every hour you can get! No life outside work at all. Would somebody show me on paper or computer screen the break down in hours versus money?
    if I had to guess plants are paying around $40 an hour +\- $5. Use $40 as a reference.. that's an 83k a yr base for a day job. Ab 97k shift work (with built in OT). A little more for shift differential. Doesn't take much OT for a shift worker to get over 100k. I'd bet most are making 130-150k with OT. But at times u are right... they do own you. I haven't had but one day off every other week here lately. Haven't been fishing since beginning of April

straight job = 2080 hours
    shift work = 1976 reg pay, 208 built in OT, 10 holidays and 1 birthday (that's how it's set up at my work.. I know some places have changed recently) and of course sometimes u work holidays and get extra pay

and don't forget quarterly and yearly bonuses
    Last edited by BStrick; 07-29-2017 at 04:07 PM.

20XDC / Promax

Not many plants are paying $40-45/hr for maintenance, especially new hires. It takes a while to get there but it's still not real hard to make $100k if the OT is there for the taking.

Quote Originally Posted by CaryLab View Post
    Not many plants are paying $40-45/hr for maintenance, especially new hires. It takes a while to get there but it's still not real hard to make $100k if the OT is there for the taking.
    I know people in maintenance that work for the company (not contract) that make $90k base. I guess it just depends where u work and your trade
    Last edited by BStrick; 07-29-2017 at 04:30 PM.

20XDC / Promax

Ignore my comments. He said if u are a contractor. I was referring to someone hired on with the company. Carry on

20XDC / Promax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BStrick View Post
    if I had to guess plants are paying around $40 an hour +\- $5. Use $40 as a reference.. that's an 83k a yr base for a day job. Ab 97k shift work (with built in OT). A little more for shift differential. Doesn't take much OT for a shift worker to get over 100k. I'd bet most are making 130-150k with OT. But at times u are right... they do own you. I haven't had but one day off every other week here lately. Haven't been fishing since beginning of April

straight job = 2080 hours
    shift work = 1976 reg pay, 208 built in OT, 10 holidays and 1 birthday (that's how it's set up at my work.. I know some places have changed recently) and of course sometimes u work holidays and get extra pay
    and don't forget quarterly and yearly bonuses
    Top notch combination welders working for a contractor are not making anywhere near 40 an hour! Welders working for the likes of Exxon or Dow may even if they exist most welders work for contractors. If they are making that kind of change I need to dust my hood off and get with it!!!

I thought we were talking ab maintenance in general. I'm not here to argue how much they make per hour. I just gave you a hourly breakdown like u asked for. Even at $30 an hour which I know some welders make, 100k is in reach. Do the math with the numbers I gave with ab 500 hrs of OT. That's 3-4 OT days a mo for a shift worker. I know this scenario is possible bc I did it when I was a new hire

a straight day guy would need 8-9 8hr OT days a mo and/or some help with bonuses, 7th days, 16hr shifts, etc. definitely harder to reach.
    Last edited by BStrick; 07-30-2017 at 07:21 AM.

20XDC / Promax

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BStrick View Post
    I thought we were talking ab maintenance in general. I'm not here to argue how much they make per hour. I just gave you a hourly breakdown like u asked for. Even at $30 an hour which I know some welders make, 100k is in reach. Do the math with the numbers I gave with ab 500 hrs of OT. That's 3-4 OT days a mo for a shift worker. I know this scenario is possible bc I did it when I was a new hire

a straight day guy would need 8-9 8hr OT days a mo and/or some help with bonuses, 7th days, 16hr shifts, etc. definitely harder to reach.
    10-4.. If these guys can obtain these 100 k plus jobs jump on them!!!!

8. Member
    My last field job 2 years ago at cf indudtries for excel paid us combo hands 40$ an hour working 6-10's plus 65 perdiem if u qualified.that was a new construction project on nights , ive never made less then 36 an hour as a combo welder in the field 30.65 in a fabshop no clue on maintaince though....

9. Member
    $30-35 an hour is what I have heard for maint welders. Depends on where you go.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

10. Member
    Id jump all over $34-35 full time maintance cant find it lol almost like it dosent exist LOL

11. Member
    Friend was going to Exxon in Baton Rouge is where that quote came from. IIRC he was going to be making 34 and some change.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

12. Member
    Well I'm still in the hunt. I am hoping the transfer to Trinidad will happen.
    I'm trying to stay international if possible. The first 98K dollars I make fall under the Foreign tax discount. I'm only taxed above that number.
    90 percent of what I gross goes in the bank. If Oil prices will get to the mid 50's it will start picking up offshore!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hse87 View Post
    Where is this refinery thats paying 4000 a week?
    not around here unless youre putting in an ass of overtime which they do. So, technically yeah they make 6 figures but they slave their asses off especially when the turnarounds come. I'll be content working a 9-5 for 70K and a company truck.

14. Member
    I've made north of 7k a week in refineries in quality control and inspections. Of course these are turnarounds and long hours. It's not for everyone for sure. These checks were at 48 a hour and double time after 8 and 100 a day per Diem. It's out there. If you haven't been offered it there's probably a reason. 8-10 weeks of work and take a month off before the next job.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123