Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I don't mind shift work. I don't mind overtime.
    I believe as stated above..you need a connection to make this happen.
    Is this contracting? Working direct for the company?
    Working the 6 week on 6 week off schedule, I at least had balance between job and family.
    With the now 6 and 3 schedule, I have seen my wife and kids a total of 6 weeks since the first of January.
    My wife is very supportive, but I can see in her eyes its becoming very hard.
    Thinking of taking some OSHA courses and getting into HSE as a rig safety consultant. Its kind of what I am doing now, but for the offshore support industry.
    Not easy to walk away from over $13k a month. Especially with two kids in college! Trusting God to bring balance back to my personal life.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hse87 View Post
    He said half a year which is 26 weeks at 4000 a week equals 104 k. Do you know how much you make? Better put a pen and paper to it!!!!
    Shift work you work a 36 hour week and then a 48 hour week. You are off four days one week and 3 the other. With hourly rates over $35/ hr and shift differential you can easily make six figures with a little overtime which is what the poster originally meant.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    Shift work you work a 36 hour week and then a 48 hour week. You are off four days one week and 3 the other. With hourly rates over $35/ hr and shift differential you can easily make six figures with a little overtime which is what the poster originally meant.
    I just figured it on 7-12's time and a half after 40 at $25 an hour. If I'm wrong I stand corrected. I hope any of y'all that go after one of these jobs lands it. Life is short money isn't everything family is. Good luck.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hse87 View Post
    I just figured it on 7-12's time and a half after 40 at $25 an hour. If I'm wrong I stand corrected. I hope any of y'all that go after one of these jobs lands it. Life is short money isn't everything family is. Good luck.
    Not a biggie, worked 30 years doing it and knew what he meant because that's how we saw it. Shift work is great when your young but as you age it gets a little harder because you don't sleep that good and the change from nights to days gets a little harder. I tried to talk the guys at our plant to do 7/7 (7 days, 7 off, 7 nights, 7 off) which I thought would be great but they wouldn't buy into it. With that schedule you wouldn't need any vacation.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oiltech09 View Post
    LOL.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    I don't mind shift work. I don't mind overtime.
    I believe as stated above..you need a connection to make this happen.
    Is this contracting? Working direct for the company?
    Working the 6 week on 6 week off schedule, I at least had balance between job and family.
    With the now 6 and 3 schedule, I have seen my wife and kids a total of 6 weeks since the first of January.
    My wife is very supportive, but I can see in her eyes its becoming very hard.
    Thinking of taking some OSHA courses and getting into HSE as a rig safety consultant. Its kind of what I am doing now, but for the offshore support industry.
    Not easy to walk away from over $13k a month. Especially with two kids in college! Trusting God to bring balance back to my personal life.
    Cajunhunter, there are Operations Technician openings now for Shell in Geismar. Great company, good benefits and pay. I would look into that one for sure. I'll try and get you a link to the info.
    Last edited by chasesfish; 05-27-2017 at 08:38 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chasesfish View Post
    Cajunhunter, there are Operations Technician openings now for Shell in Geismar. Great company, good benefits and pay. I would look into that one for sure. I'll try and get you a link to the info.
    Big Thanks!!!!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Put in for Dow if there's anything available. We were hiring a few weeks ago, if I hear of any others I'll let you know. We make almost what refineries make and more if you chase OT.
    2004 210 Blazer Pro-V
    2013 250 Merc Pro XS (wingmaster)Sn: 2B009365

tjrou2005@yahoo.com

9. Member
    Ive been applying for 4 years now with Operations with various plants. theres actually been a few times that I went to take the test that there were about 4000 people applying for 4 positions. That's no BS. Ive taken 7 test over the years (most are good for up to a year where you took it). Its obviously not impossible to get it, but boy they don't make it easy these days. I have quite a few people on the inside in a few places and its tougher now than ever. Most plants want either a lot of experience and/or the PTEC degree. Again its not impossible but it does get frustrating at times.
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right......once is enough!"

10. Member
    Yes I meant shift work. If you do the math you work 14 days a month meaning half the year, actually less with vacation. 84hrs every 2 weeks with 8 of that being paid overtime. Add in a few overtime hrs every month for safety meetings etc and holiday pay. With a little over time you can easily make over 6 figures. After a few years most plant operators are close to 40$ hr plus some plants, very few pay 100% insurance and very good matching 401ks

11. Member
    Most plants shift work is Canadian shift, you work 4 nights off 3 days work 3 days off 1 day work 3 nights off 3 days work 4 days then off 7 days equaling 14 days worked and 14 days off every 28 days.

12. Member
    I am going to try and transfer to the Trinidad business unit. 4 weeks on and 4 weeks off. About 30k less money a year, but a good balance in money and quality of life.
    Plus the 5 1/2 hour flight and no jet lag! Hope this works out!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

13. Member
    The number of people that can't even pass a drug test WITH A WARNING THERE IS GOING TO BE ONE will cut that in half easy. They had to ask for a second round of interviews here as there were so few that could make the published specifications. Amazing.

14. Member

Point me in the direction

Quote Originally Posted by 90xpress View Post
    only way you are doing that is by chasing turnarounds. either welding, crane operator or inspections. Nothing wrong with that lifestyle for sure, but you don't stay in any one place for to long.
    Im a tig welder with experiance in carbon , stainless , chrome , enconel etc all pipe...i been trying to go back to the field or a good maintence job for months now im stuck in a fab shop all day sombody please direct me to these 150k jobs

15. Member
    If you apply for Shell make sure you have proof read your resume and there are no miss spelled words. I work for Shell in one of these plants and know that they will throw it out if it has miss spelled words. I also used to work for Dow both are good companies and wish you luck. I am sure being over there gets old.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamskeeter2005 View Post
    If you apply for Shell make sure you have proof read your resume and there are no miss spelled words. I work for Shell in one of these plants and know that they will throw it out if it has miss spelled words.
    Does that include misspelled words?
    Alan
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spillway_pirate View Post
    Im a tig welder with experiance in carbon , stainless , chrome , enconel etc all pipe...i been trying to go back to the field or a good maintence job for months now im stuck in a fab shop all day sombody please direct me to these 150k jobs

In my opinion you will only make 150k chasing turn arounds with someone like SWAT or TSS. If you get a local maintenance gig you will not make any where close to that but you will have a steady income and go home to your own bed every night.
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

18. Member
    Id take 100k maintenance job anyday i cant find nothing guess you gotta know sombody for those jobs i can tell you cbi in walker is a complete shit hole weve lost half our shop to epic right up the road in livingston....any help would be greatly appreciated

19. Member
    cbi

is a complete shit hole

Pretty much sums it up. I was in Essen Lane for 2 years
    2009 Ranger Z520, Mercury 250 ProXS

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spillway_pirate View Post
    Id take 100k maintenance job anyday i cant find nothing guess you gotta know sombody for those jobs i can tell you cbi in walker is a complete shit hole weve lost half our shop to epic right up the road in livingston....any help would be greatly appreciated
    I don't know of any maintenance job that pays the money some are speaking of if you ara a contractor unless you live at these plants chasing every hour you can get! No life outside work at all. Would somebody show me on paper or computer screen the break down in hours versus money?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast