Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranger z175 vs Lund Renegade 1775

Hey all,

Looking for some advice. I am getting ready to make my first boat purchase and these two boats have really caught my eye. On paper and in videos they seem to fit my needs, but I'm unsure which will be a better fit. I've narrowed down to these two smaller boats for a few reasons. First off, I will be pulling my boat in a 2015 Toyota 4Runner so lightweight is a must. I also have limited garage space. Front to back the stall measures 25' with maybe a few inches to spare.

In deciding between the two, I am trying to figure out which will fit my fishing style best. I prefer fishing shallow water when the bite is there, but will fish deeper when needed. I live in SD, so wind is usually a factor. I plan to fish smaller bodies of water and often near timber. I will usually have to travel 60-80 miles to a fishing hole.

I am wondering what your thoughts are on the advantages and disadvantages of each.
    Lund 1875 Pro V Bass XS
    Mercury Verado 200 hp

It would be helpful to your cause to include pics of each or at least minimal specifications like motor size and type etc.

I love my z175. I wish it had a 150 instead of 115 though.

The lund appears to be aluminum. Big difference in boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass newb View Post
    The lund appears to be aluminum. Big difference in boats.
    Exactly, but both will fit in my garage and budget. So I'm looking for help in picking.
    Last edited by keng8554; 05-17-2017 at 03:21 PM.
    Lund 1875 Pro V Bass XS
    Mercury Verado 200 hp

Well a n aluminum boat doesn't compare to a fiberglass for performance and comfort. Easy choice.

6. Banned
    and a fiberglass boat doesn't compare to aluminum for longevity and ease of repair.
    We could do this all day. My advice would be to ride or test drive both models to find out which suits you best.

One thing I can tell you regarding these two boats. The Lund will not have dry compartments and the ranger will.

Being in south dakota, makes access to bass boats very inconvenient. I could find all the V-hulls one could want, but it seems like no one stocks bass boats.
    Lund 1875 Pro V Bass XS
    Mercury Verado 200 hp

I fixed damage in my glass boat at midnight and fished a tourney I won at 7am... Glass is easy to fix. I'd say glass all day, I can't believe these boats are even close in price though. Why not humor a nitro z18?

I guess I didn't mention that the only in town dealer sells Ranger and Lund. Out of town dealers are 90 plus miles away. I have reservations about possibly needing to travel so far maintenance or repairs.
    Lund 1875 Pro V Bass XS
    Mercury Verado 200 hp

Lund makes a really good aluminum boat. The main differences between a tin boat and a glass boat are: the tin boat is going to get blown around more in wind when fishing; the tin boat will not be as dry a ride if riding in heavy chop or waves; All things being equal, it will be slower; as mentioned, the dry storage may not actually be dry...check how the storage is built, like do all openings have a lip with seals so water will not intrude; unless you fish with live bait, IMO the front livewell is useless...of course, it could be used for storage.

The upside is that you can pull the tin boat up on a gravel bank without too much worry about scratching the hull. But, if that's a concern, you can put a keelguard on the glass boat.

The Ranger is rated for a 115 and the Lund is rated for a 90. Given that the Ranger will be a pad hull, it will run about 10mph faster, if not more.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

Wow. Thanks that's helpful.
    Lund 1875 Pro V Bass XS
    Mercury Verado 200 hp

13. Banned
    What about ranger aluminium? What's your budget? I'd be looking at a nitro as suggested. I would be overjoyed at a25' garage, you could fit my z520 in there. That's a ton of space if you get a boat with a folding trailer tongue. Get the biggest boat you can afford, it will allow you to fish rougher water which equals more days fishing.

That being said, being from Canada I do love Lund boats, so look into a 1875 pro v bass. Lund boats are not low end aluminum boats, they will take rough water better and keep you drier than comparable length glass bass boats on average.

BTW, if space is your main concern looking at boats, you have plenty of room with 25', if you get a folding tongue. You could put a 19' boat in there. Having said that, if money is not the driving factor in your decision, I would look at 18-19 foot boats. A glass boat in that length is going to be rated for a 150-200 HP engine and have a lot more deck space and storage. A glass bass boat is designed to run on it's pad. A modified V aluminum boat, other than a very few brands, will not have a pad, so more hull will be in the water and that equals less speed. The Z185 would be worth considering. Or the Ranger RT188 aluminum.

Other brands? BassCat build quality is second to none. Their Sabre or Margay models would be worth a look. Don't know where the nearest dealer would be though. Even if you got it far away, as long as the engine is the brand your local dealer sells, he could do the warranty work/service. Phoenix makes a nice boat as well.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

15. Member
    If your budget would allow for a Ranger RT188 with a 115 then that would be a good buy imo.

So I found a 2013 Stratos 176VLO with mercury 75. Seems very comparable for half the price of a new z175. But it's 5.5 hours away. Bass boat shopping in SD is TOUGH!
    Lund 1875 Pro V Bass XS
    Mercury Verado 200 hp

Swoop up to Fargo or over to the cities in MN I boaught in Fargo and have Mercury services in Jamestown. Boats them selves shouldn't need service.

Good point. I should probably only be thinking about the outboard in that regard.

I was originally thinking new, but the list price is a joke when you add realistic options to the boat. I think I will try to find a lightly used boat that's eaten up alot of the depreciation.
    Lund 1875 Pro V Bass XS
    Mercury Verado 200 hp

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
    BTW, if space is your main concern looking at boats, you have plenty of room with 25', if you get a folding tongue. You could put a 19' boat in there. Having said that, if money is not the driving factor in your decision, I would look at 18-19 foot boats. A glass boat in that length is going to be rated for a 150-200 HP engine and have a lot more deck space and storage. A glass bass boat is designed to run on it's pad. A modified V aluminum boat, other than a very few brands, will not have a pad, so more hull will be in the water and that equals less speed. The Z185 would be worth considering. Or the Ranger RT188 aluminum.

Other brands? BassCat build quality is second to none. Their Sabre or Margay models would be worth a look. Don't know where the nearest dealer would be though. Even if you got it far away, as long as the engine is the brand your local dealer sells, he could do the warranty work/service. Phoenix makes a nice boat as well.
    I have a BassCat Margay and I fish the CA Delta which is pretty rough and windy. It runs into the 60's with a 150 4S and handles the chop really well. It holds a lot of rods and has a huge front deck for a 17'7 boat. I don't see a lot of them in these conversations and really wonder why sometimes. Of course if there isn't a dealer close that's a problem, but other than that it's worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by db220 View Post
    I have a BassCat Margay and I fish the CA Delta which is pretty rough and windy. It runs into the 60's with a 150 4S and handles the chop really well. It holds a lot of rods and has a huge front deck for a 17'7 boat. I don't see a lot of them in these conversations and really wonder why sometimes. Of course if there isn't a dealer close that's a problem, but other than that it's worth a look.
    Will look into it. Probably 0% chance of finding a used one, though
    Lund 1875 Pro V Bass XS
    Mercury Verado 200 hp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast