Pat G, question about my 86 transom

I am very confused as to why when I pulled off the splash well chrome trip piece, Part of the transom wood was exposed. There was no evidence of sealant from the factory on it at all. Was this on purpose or did someone miss putting sealant down? I'm ready to put it back together tomorrow and was wondering if I should run a bead of 4200 across it or leave it the way it is??

Thanks for any help.
    Matt

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I don't think a coat of 4200 would hurt anything.

3. Pat Goff
    I'm not understanding the big gap. That doesn't look healthy.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

4. Member
    A Little swelling in the area of the Tie Down eyes??

5. Member
    Looks like someone cut some of the lip off and pour fiberglass resin in there.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

6. Member
    Pat,
    It had to come from the factory like that. Which seems very odd to me. The trim piece has never been taken off till I did it a few months ago, with no trace of sealant along the strip, and we have owned the boat since new. The screwholes for the trim are not egged out like it separated and pulled apart. There are what seems to be grinder marks. To me it looks like a strip was cut out. Have never had an issue with the transom except for when it got water in it last fall. Plus there are 4 extra holes drilled into it that do not line up with any of the screwholes on that trim piece.

I did paint on a thin coat of resin across it just to seal it up. I would assume I should run a bead of 4200 along it before I put the trim piece on? Was not sure if this was a factory thing or not .

7. Pat Goff
    I'd for sure seal the heck out of it. In fact I'd get a caulk tube of 4200 and jam it into every crevice and crack and pressure it into it. I have no explanation for the gap, but I'd sure as heck make sure it wasn't a place water could intrude.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

8. Member
    My 201 transom looked exactly the same. There was zero sealant under the cap. None.

I filled everything w boat life or boat seal, cant remember which.

Whoever they used to "trim" that area of the boats must've past that skill along as my 2004 looked like a Parkinson's gent with a sawzall was busy trimming it close to clock out time on a Friday.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

That looks like water HAS BEEN intruding that area for some time now.
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Has the corner trim been removed too where the rub rail comes into the stern? If not pull it too and seal that area too. Mine wasn't sealed on my 89 201. Don't forget the motor mount holes make sure you use some resin in there before sealing it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images