Thread: SHO help

SHO help

Ok so I have a 2011 250 SHO with about 8 hours on a brand new powerhead. Yesterday I take it for a run. It fires up and sounds fine. Hops up on plane no problem...runs for about a minute and starts cutting out. I can left off the throttle and come back to an idle. Then I can get on it and it will come out of the hole great but cuts out after a minute or so.

Seemed like a fuel issue to me. I took it to the dealer and he is getting a knock sensor code. He's trying to confirm with a Yamaha tech but if it's the sensor itself its a big job...as in pulling heads and thousands of dollars.

Any thoughts?

Here's the one kicker. I had the boat at a much higher elevation yesterday than past trips...normally fish around 2300' elevation and I was at 4800' yesterday.

I run 89 octane with ring free.

Thanks

Only 8 hours? Does the new powerhead come with a warranty?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Only 8 hours? Does the new powerhead come with a warranty?
    No warranty. Found out knock sensors don't fail. It's likely a blown powerhead. They are still running a few more tests to confirm. Yamaha says the new powerheads do not blow like this. Tech says it's highly likely the dealership that installed the powerhead messed up the installation. Awesome.

4. Member
    To clarify it could be Yamaha trying to pass the blame. Lots more to get figured out.

Just sucks. Blew the budget on the motor and install. Middle of local tournament season. Likely done fishing till next year as the possibility of buying a new motor ain't happening.

5. Member
    Damn I hate that for you. I've heard a few bad things about that engine, but that is with any brand. I love my SHO. Hope everything works out for you

6. Member
    How could you have no warranty on new powerhead?

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by leethefishking View Post
    How could you have no warranty on new powerhead?
    Just guessing but it might be a power head that Yamaha provided free of charge. A 2011 motor would be out of it basic warranty probably. Hopefully the OP will ring in and let us know "the rest of the story".

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 97sx View Post
    No warranty. Found out knock sensors don't fail. It's likely a blown powerhead. They are still running a few more tests to confirm. Yamaha says the new powerheads do not blow like this. Tech says it's highly likely the dealership that installed the powerhead messed up the installation. Awesome.
    Methinketh Yamaha lies.

One dealer is known to have been providing a demo ride on a new boat and new motor in a harbor. Less than one hour on an F350. Motor crapped out then. Failed the power plant.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 97sx View Post
    8hrs? break-in is not even done. Unless the power-head had sat for an extremely long time between now and the replacement, it is my understanding that Yamaha is really good about stuff like this.
    I agree with Jethro about the lie.
    If it can be proven the dealer messed up then possible lawsuit??? Is this the same dealer that installed the new power head?

10. Banned
    I was told by a dealer and you maybe able to confirm with Yamaha, you have 90 days of warrany from the day of install on the replacement power head.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro1 View Post
    Just guessing but it might be a power head that Yamaha provided free of charge. A 2011 motor would be out of it basic warranty probably. Hopefully the OP will ring in and let us know "the rest of the story".
    Yup you are right. This was the case. Also the powerhead and the motor sat at the dealership for a period of time before they actually put the motor for sale.

Dealership is working with me to file a case with Yamaha and try and get this thing covered. They have replaced plenty of powerheads and have a history of quality installs.

Oh and the oil was full of metal. It's toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    I was told by a dealer and you maybe able to confirm with Yamaha, you have 90 days of warrany from the day of install on the replacement power head.
    FYI Yamaha gave 1 year of warranty with the free replacement powerhead on my SHO, and my motor was well out of warranty.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

13. Banned
    Some might get 90 days, some might get a year, some might get nothing at all.

One size does not fit all. We have no way of knowing the criteria that Yamaha uses to determine who gets what. There are many variables involved.

My understanding with Yamaha's voluntary powerhead replacement program on early Serial # SHO's was 1 year warranty after replacement.

15. Member
    DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO EXTEND THE ONE YEAR WARRANTY AFTER REPLACMENT IS DONE ONE THE POWERHEAD REPLACEMENT PROGRAM GETTING MINE DONE JUNE 12 TH. THANKS

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CCockrell View Post
    DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO EXTEND THE ONE YEAR WARRANTY AFTER REPLACMENT IS DONE ONE THE POWERHEAD REPLACEMENT PROGRAM GETTING MINE DONE JUNE 12 TH. THANKS
    You will have to contact Yamaha US to see what they have to say. If they agree to something, get it in writing. If not in writing, it is as if it never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by CCockrell View Post
    I don't believe its possible to extend the warranty beyond the 1 year period they give you. Most if not all of these earlier SHO's were out of warranty.

18. Member
    different type of question on the thread.....has anyone been able to collect data on what caused the failures? cracks in heads?, thermostat issues, clogged water cavities, overtighten anodes, missalignment of components, incorrect gapping, rings....etc. I'd just like to know what the failure was and what has caused it.

19. Member
    Fujimoto in Japan has that information. I doubt that it will ever see the light of day.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    I don't believe its possible to extend the warranty beyond the 1 year period they give you. Most if not all of these earlier SHO's were out of warranty.
    True. My brother had his 2011 SHO 200 powerhead replaced by Yamaha when it was out of warranty by years and all he got was 1 year. He didn't care because he traded the boat and motor right after because he no longer trusted it.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA