Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone Catfishing on Ky/Barkley Yet?

Thinking about taking a break from chasing bass to go after some shallow catfish this weekend. Wondering if anyone has got after them yet, and what the report has been? Typically about this time of year they fire up on rocky banks/points and you can catch about as many as you want.

2. Banned
    They have been getting geared up for the past week. It is time as the water temp is now over 74 which is my reference point of when to start going after them. I tried them when the temp was 67 and only got a few, should be prime time now.

I haven't been yet, been too hard to put down the bass rod with limits coming fairly easy. With that being said I've caught several catfish by accident shallow on crankbaits which is a strong indicator.

I'm going after catfish this weekend for sure, might even go to Kenlake one evening this week after work to try from the bank around the rip rap. I expect the canal to be loaded with catfishermen this weekend.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    They have been getting geared up for the past week. It is time as the water temp is now over 74 which is my reference point of when to start going after them. I tried them when the temp was 67 and only got a few, should be prime time now.

I haven't been yet, been too hard to put down the bass rod with limits coming fairly easy. With that being said I've caught several catfish by accident shallow on crankbaits which is a strong indicator.

I'm going after catfish this weekend for sure, might even go to Kenlake one evening this week after work to try from the bank around the rip rap. I expect the canal to be loaded with catfishermen this weekend.
    I'm with you on the canal. I've never actually fished it, but you can always expect the canal banks to be lined with catfisherman when May rolls around. I usually just bounce around to easy targets and try to pick up about 15 or 20 in the 3 to 5 lb range on light tackle. Occasionally run into a big one (10-15 lbs) that will put up a heck of a fight. If the bite is real good I do all of my catching with a rod and reel. If it's a little slower I'll throw out a few jugs to help speed things up... Like you, every year I struggle to quit bass fishing long enough to go after the cats, but once I get started it's a lot of fun and I wonder why I don't do it more.

They were on the crankbait last week on rocky points. Lol
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

Went down pisgah today and cleaned house. Hardly any traffic as well. Took a student fishing for an experience auction and had he not wanted to release we would've easily filled 5 gallon sized bags for the freezer in two hours. Going back tomorrow after school

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arjone01 View Post
    Went down pisgah today and cleaned house. Hardly any traffic as well. Took a student fishing for an experience auction and had he not wanted to release we would've easily filled 5 gallon sized bags for the freezer in two hours. Going back tomorrow after school
    Very nice... All on rod and reel?

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog10 View Post
    Very nice... All on rod and reel?

Yes.

8. Member
    I saw a couple of old guys in a new Ranger 179 aluminum sacking them up on a rip-rap point in the back of a small bay yesterday. they were anchored close and catching them with some kind of bait under bobbers (leeches, maybe?)

9. Member
    That's what I like to hear, fellas. Going to try to make it out this afternoon or tomorrow morning, weather permitting. I'll report back if I get to go.

Guys are saying leeches are hot. We were right up on the rip rap with bobbers on night crawlers for us they didn't want any red worms. Lead from bobber was probably 5' long. They're right up by the rip rap.

11. Member
    My daughter and I bottom bounced in the canal this afternoon for a couple of hours with leeches. We caught 15 total. My daughter caught a 15 pounder and a 9 pounder.

12. Banned
    Ky-triton - what kind of rig are you using for your bottom bouncing? Just a 3-way swivel?

13. Member
    Was only able to make it out for a couple hours this weekend but as expected, they were up shallow on the rip rap. Fished from about 8:30 to 11:30 Saturday morning. Caught 10 but 2 were very small so I let them go, kept 8.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Ky-triton - what kind of rig are you using for your bottom bouncing? Just a 3-way swivel?
    I go buy the rigs at Ken's in Lake City. They used to have pre-rigged ones, but sometimes I buy the metal spreader ones with a big snap on the bottom. I just smell some hooks and tie to the spreader and take some heavy mono and tie to my sinker and then hook to the snap. The mono allows the weight to break if I get it hung up. I adjust weight to keep the rig vertical. I always use leeches that I buy from Ken's. 1/4 pound will last all day.

15. Member
    I prefer blue catfish. The shallow rip-rap/canal bite seems mostly channel. Anyone have any tips for blue cats this time of year. I am pretty sure I saw some deep (20-30) yesterday.

16. Member
    I used to catch blues bottom bouncing on the main river ledges on both Kentucky and Barkley. Blues are beautiful fish.

How do blue's taste?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    How do blue's taste?
    I think they taste better than channel cat but that is a matter of personal preference, I guess,

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    I think they taste better than channel cat but that is a matter of personal preference, I guess,
    I prefer blues over wild channels as well.

20. Member
    I think most probably prefer blue's, but honestly I can't tell much difference at all and for me the channels are easier to catch in good numbers. Occasionally a blue gets mixed in when fishing the rip rap, so that's always a bonus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast