IT'A TURKEY DONCHA KNOW.

I smoked my first turkey in the REC TEC grill about two months ago. I read how everyone was saying best smoked turkeys are brined turkeys. Well I brined that 1st one in a brown sugar and salt and vinegar brine overnight. Me and Susie thought it sucked. Did not like the brined taste at all so the dog got most and a buddy that loves all turkey got the other half.

Today I am trying something different. I bought an upside down turkey cooker. It literally holds the bird in the air with the breast side down.

I have just used a little poultry rub and canola oil on the outside to keep things simple. I subjected the turkey to a three hour heavy smoke using cherry wood.

Right now I have goosed the grill temp up to 325* with a temp probe stuck in the thy. It will cook till the temp in the thy hits 170*

It's nothing fancy. No brine and a heavy initial smoke. I do have to admit that it looks pretty dang good at the moment.

The upside down turkey holder:

Turkey on the holder:

I ditched the aluminum pans as I just need them to contain the mess of the poultry rub.

Just going into the grill.

What dat burd lookin like after the three hours in da smoke. Hot damn that 170* temp in the thy is not going to come quick enough. It's looking effin good!

The finished product...Damn was it good. Moist as hell and dang tasty.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

"Let's raise up our glasses against evil forces......Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses" - Toby Keith

2. Member
    YEP......I never liked the brine thing as well. I've ate a lot of injected Turkeys before, but I will also say it takes away from it's natural flavor as well. Hate taking a bite & tasting nothing but Cajun Butter (or w/e injection is in it) & not the actual meat. That's like putting ketchup on a NY strip or Ribeye

Looks damn good though

3. Member
    Looks really nice! So 3 total hours of cooking until the temp hit 170? Does it need to be wrapped in foil or set up for some time before carving?

4. GROWING OLD WITH GRACE DA TOAD's Avatar
    Actually 6 hours. (3) hours at 220* with a heavy smoke and 3 hours at 325+. Yes....after removing the bird from the REC TEC I tented it loosely with foil for 20 minutes.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

"Let's raise up our glasses against evil forces......Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses" - Toby Keith

5. Member
    Thanks