gaurdian mode??? or other reason for 4500 RPM hard rev limit 225 Verado

SN 1B483366 2007 225 Verado

ECM not showing Reduced power level but does have a failed boost controller error code , would that code set off the 4500 RPM guardian rev limiter or is there another issue causing the hard REV limiter

CDS showing ZERO limits or guardian engagement however its most definetly slamming a 4500 RPM rev limiter vs reving up to its normal 6200

the power up to 4500 is normal but without a verified guardian activation its a 650.00 shot in dark to if it will reset the ECM to full RPM operation on the replacement of the boost valve
    anything else that could set the 4500 RPM limit that wouldn't show up on the ECM

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just a guess... but it may not be Guardian at all. Boost (controller) valve may actually be bad... and failing to open (or stuck in one position).

That would botch up the fuel pressure, fuel delivery (pulsewidth) and timing (not much programming for this type of scenario, more of a "default" situation would occur).

Sure would be good if you had a "known good" valve...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    its a hard rev limit it has a boost code so I know the controller is bad, but its literally a BAP BAP BAP hammering rev limit as if it was against the 6400 RPM limit and severly under propped so I AM ASSUMING that that code sets a rev limit also to protect the engine in a non boost RPM

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Could be... it SHOULD show it, but I honestly haven't ever replicated that exact scenario.

Probably one of those "nobody thought of that" black holes in the MAP tables. The "default" for "no computable data" is rich fuel, drop timing.

Definitely interested to hear the outcome, though!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I think there is a test in cds or g3 that your merc dealer can do to test your boost controller