Can a worked prop be recreated without knowing what was done to it?

Have a 91 Cajun with xp150 evinrude. Prop is a Raker 14.5x24 but the 24 is crossed out with a 22 behind it. Nothing wrong with prop and it's performance is fine. Looking for a spare and not quite sure what I should be looking to get. And then god forbid I should trash it. I would rather ask now.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

Typically when the pitch has been crossed out and re-stamped that means the prop has been re-pitched. However I have never know of a prop repair shop to change the pitch by 2. They will pitch up or down 1 but not 2. Sounds like yours has been re-pitched from a 24 down to a 22. Going down 2 in pitch is not a common practice so this one has me puzzled.

A good reputable shop will stamp an extra set of numbers on the prop if its been worked on. They can decipher the numbers and tell exactly what was done to the prop. Does it have any extra numbers stamped on it.

3. Member
    I haven't removed it yet. That is just what's on the outer hub. About the 2°, that was my understanding as well. Especially with SS. So what should I do. Other than look for more markings?
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD

"Typically" the markings will be stamped on the outer hub barrel and are easy to see. I suppose you could remove the prop and see if there is markings that are not visible with the prop mounted. Just my personal opinion but I would not buy a prop that has been re-pitched down 2* in pitch. If your looking for a Raker 24 or a Raker 22 they are fairly common and pop up on the for sale board quite often. What is your current prop?

5. Member
    The one we are taking about is the one that came with it and runs fine.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD

6. Member
    Only if you know who worked the prop and know the original prop owners name that had the work performed.

Quote Originally Posted by Enskyte View Post
    The one we are taking about is the one that came with it and runs fine.
    Then I would look for a Raker 22 as a spare...FYI the 22 pitch Raker comes in a 13 and 15 spline. The 13 spline fits 115 HP or less and the 15 spline fits 150 HP and up. So look for a 15 spline 22 Raker.

8. Member
    That's what I was thinking also. Thanks
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Typically when the pitch has been crossed out and re-stamped that means the prop has been re-pitched. However I have never know of a prop repair shop to change the pitch by 2. They will pitch up or down 1 but not 2. Sounds like yours has been re-pitched from a 24 down to a 22. Going down 2 in pitch is not a common practice so this one has me puzzled.

A good reputable shop will stamp an extra set of numbers on the prop if its been worked on. They can decipher the numbers and tell exactly what was done to the prop. Does it have any extra numbers stamped on it.
    This is correct information from JR19 ... its hard to actually take an ACTUAL FULL INCH of pitch out of a prop... and the good prop shops will "code" a worked prop for future reference... (the code on mine is 12 characters!) and none are the pitch....

10. Member
    So, can your code be understood by someone else? Looks to be more numbers on prop. Will try and get a pic.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD

11. Member
    No it can't you have to know who did the work. The code usually is just a reference number.