Really dumb setup question...

I have a 2003 TR-20 with a 200 Yamaha. I added dual poles and a extra battery for the 36v trolling motor. I already thohhht my prop tonpad was to low. I know I should start around 3inches. I'm wondering about raising the motor on the Manuel jackplate. I was told to never loosen all 6 bolts at the same time but that makes no sense if I'm trying to raise the motor up. So is it ok to loosen both sides of the jackplate to raise it? Also does anyone have any suggestions I'm only getting 53-55 with two guys full tank, full livewells, full of tackle, and poles n the extra battery

2. Member
    You don't mention the brand jack plate you have but I have a Slidemaster and you have to loosen the side bolts to raise or lower the motor height with the center adjustment screw. I can't see how you could adjust it otherwise.

3. Member
    What prop do you have now and is your motor a 2.6L? Mark the top of the plate before you start moving it so you know how much you've moved it. If you running a 25" prop your going to have to drop in pitch to get your rpm's up and find some speed.

4. Member
    Yeah it's. 2.6 and I have a 25 pitch Yamaha prop on it.

5. Member
    Don't take any more advice from whomever told you that to start with, they obviously don't have a clue how to adjust a jackplate or you didn't understand them correctly I guess is a possibility too.

Anyway, that's a lot of weight for a 200 on a 20'er with a 25.

With thy the new weight in the rear a couple things you can do to improve holeshot.

1. Bottom plate on jackplate if you don't already.
    2. Good quality lower unit foil. Cb Marine, Bman etc
    3. Balls in jackplate
    4. Lower pitch or different style prop(try a Mercury high five if you can) might be able to stay at a 25p with one but more than likely might need to go to 23 or 24

what is your current rpm @ top speed?
    prop to pad hieght, this will change with prop but 3.5"-2.75" below is the range that you will be testing around looking for best performance.

6. Member
    How many rpm's were you turning at WOT and top speed before you added the poles and how many now? You need to have the prop up to at least to 3" under to start. If the plate has a center screw to raise it you can loosen all the bolts at once.

7. Member
    5000 rpms wot.

8. Member
    my hole shot is fine the top speed is what sucks

9. Member
    Your only turning 5000 rpm's now? How much water pressure? Sounds like you can raise it up 1/4" at a time.