Any of you guys use a Minn Kota Talon?

Really wanting to add one to my boat. Don't know if I want the 8' or 10'? Install pretty easy? Where are the best prices? I don't want a power pole since I'm in a tin boat with limited space in the battery area and the talon stick up less so it doesn't effect the person casting from the back deck as much. But I'll listen to all advice. Thx all
    danny

I was gungho to add a Talon when one day I was fishing at Arbuckle, the lake I fish most of the time. I was no more than an underhand pitch to the bank and I was in something like 18' of water. I realized that the 10' Talon would be useless in a lot of the type fishing I do. This was around the same time the Ultrex was introduced. I held off on the Talon and got my stacks of chips into one pile and got the 80# Ultrex. Couldn't be happier with it.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

3. Member
    Had an I pilot 1st gen on my Ranger and it was constantly adjusting when it tried to hold a spot. I'm assuming the newer gen units are better. But still I like to hunker down and fish grass mostly. My thought process is a shallow water anchor can hold you still and allow you to fish quietly. But I don't know. Thought? Experiences? Thx

4. Member
    I have 2 8footers on my ProCraft. sometimes I wish I had 12 footers. Love them.

5. Member
    I've got a 2 stage 8 footer on my 190tx and a Terrova with I-pilot on the bow. It's a great combo. I bought mine used and have only used it a few times but all in all, I love having the Talon. I doubt I'll ever need 2 but it would be handy in some situations.

Install is not hard at all. I direct mounted it so the hardest part was getting the courage to drill 4 holes in the boat.

I have two 10ft talons honestly can't imagine not having them now, they hold me really steady in 8 1/2ft of water. Install really easy and have never had an issue other than the paint pealing off the bottom of one (they are blue) but minnkota customer service is top notch.

7. Member
    Thx for the replies guys!! Do they use much battery?

No I have never noticed a change, they are heavy is only downside compared to power poles.

I have Power Poles, but I will say that if you get just one (Talon or Pole) you will wish you had two. Especially with our winds.

2009 LEGEND ALPHA 211/MERCURY 250 PRO XS

10. mike l. ketcher
    Have 2 on my ranger, best thing going if you fish shallow a lot, or load and unload by yourself.

11. Member
    I'm buying 2 12 footers this winter. What was said above on the wind is exactly why I want 2. Many times I fish amd wish I had them I'm in 10 feet or so, so I'm going as big as possible.

12. Member
    I have 2 12 footers on my BassCat. Once you use them and all the different things they can do for you, you will wonder why you waited so long. They are great for launching by yourself as well as loading. you can stake yourself next to a dock and not have to worry about rubbing it. you can fish current and wind while others are blown bye.

One is better than none but 2 is definitely better than one.

There is also a rebate I believe until the end of May.

Got mine from Universal Mania.

John

13. Member
    John the only reason I don't wonder why I have not purchased them yet is I messed around and got married. Lol... My purchase power is somewhat less now. I have seen them first hand and am a believer in the benefits.
    Last edited by procraftokie; 05-25-2017 at 07:07 AM.