Thread: not thrilled

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

not thrilled

well bought a foil from a person on this site installed it and took it out yesterday looks great but I don't notice a bit of difference on plane time or slow speeds going to mess with the vent holes and see if that makes a change but right now I think I wasted $200 and put 6 holes in the cavitation plate for nothing

2. Member
    Interesting...was it the stainless steel cool looking plate? I was thinking about one of those but depending on your answer I might just live with my decent holeshot.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

3. Member
    well not going to say which one I bought because it seems like im the only one it hasn't helped but if anyone knows why I would sure like the help its on a 2014 Z7 with a 175 I put one on because when I added 2 talons my hole shot sucked

Are your talon brackets dragging?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    nope that was one of the first things I thought might be wrong

The Vent holes on the prop should make a huge difference....
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

7. Member
    I just got mine for my 2015 z7, I got a 175 also and 12' talons. I'll get results by this weekend.......hope it helps!! Now I'm worried

8. Member
    please let me know how you did at least I will know then its something I am doing wrong [again] I had all my vent holes wide open so I put the inserts back in will try Tuesday and see what happens thanks

Sounds like a setup issue. What is your prop to pad? RPM at holshot and WOT?
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

10. Member
    well not saying its not but I don't think its set up everything was good before the talons prop to pad is 3' or a little under any futher and I lose water pressure running a 24 tempest rpm at wot 5650 not sure at holeshot when on pad running around 62-64 depending and that's with 480-500lbs of fishermen plus all their stuff this boat has never been as fast as I thought it should be but 4-5mph not as important to me as it used to be but holeshot is I fish the upper Mississippi and want it to get up asap we run pretty shallow water up here thanks for the help

I had a Z7 with a 150 Pro XS I put two 10 foot talons on and the only thing that helped my holeshot was a 21p Bravo FS. With that prop I had a 3-4 second hole shot no matter what the load with a 58ish mph top speed. I like the Fury 4 better than a Bravo but the Bravo is a darn nice prop, great holeshot, amazing acceleration and handling. My only real complaint with the Bravo was that it didn't like to power load my boat.

12. Member
    I have the same boat and motor with a 6" Atlas and twin power poles. I run right around 3 1/4" prop to pad. On my other boats I didn't necessarily trim my motor all the way down when taking off. That said, I bury the motor all the way down with this boat due to the PP drag. I fished a tournament this weekend for the first time with this boat and with a full live well, two dudes and fully loaded, it took a little to get it to the top. But not anything out of the norm.

13. Member
    I also trim all the way down and what you get with livewells full I get with them empty with them full I sometimes have to send partner up front to lay on deck or empty wells to at least 1/2 full thought the foil would help but I see no difference took the vent plugs out of prop but have not made it out to try and pay more attention to rpms at take off

14. Member
    So I did not notice any issue when I put on one talon on my 13 z7 150 pro xs. How far back did you end up with the mount? I also found 3 inch was more prone to blow out on the hole shot. 3 1/4 was my sweet spot. Top end should not change with or without poles as they are fully out of the water.

15. Member
    here is where I have the mounts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Member
    I have a foil coming really looking to porpoise less when slowing down did it help with that at all?

17. Member
    Try a holeshot plate....my v20 was slow out of the hole and porpoised badly at lower speeds....it cut my holeshot down to 2 seconds fully loaded and eliminated the porpoising

I'm not sure if set up is going to help enough to really make a difference. Talon's are a lot of weight to add on the back of a boat and no matter how you install the bracket it is going to drag some. I am not sure if you can do this on your jackplate or not but I use the top hole (below the top slot) to keep as much bracket out of the water as I can. I'll attach a photo.

I played with setup a ton after I got my Talons on my Z7 but ultimately I had to reprop. The summer heat and humidity are going to make it worse, or at least it did for me. If you haven't used a Bravo or a Fury 4 you will be surprised at how well they perform. The acceleration and handling are better than any 3 blade I've used. No matter how much my boat was loaded or time of year the Bravo gave me a 3-4 second holeshot and was one 1 or 2 mph slower than the tempest plus my boat came with.

Here is the photo of where I have my bracket set on my JP. I did this on my Z7 and on my Ranger.

Attached Images Attached Images

I meant to add in my post that a lot of guys on the Ranger board are running a metal foil because of the protection it offers if you ever sling a blade. So even if it didn't help with the Talons there are benefits to running one.

Your going to lose some speed with a whale tail I went to a 22p bravo 3fs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast