Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problem staying running

My 2004 mercury 50 hp 2 stroke has an issue staying running. The primer bulb would go soft after running for a few minutes so i replaced it, did the same thing, so i bought a rebuild kit for the fuel pump. Installed that, which the old diophram was hard and no longer plyable. Took the boat out yesterday and still doing the same damn thing. Pump up the bulb, start out across the lake, sounds like its running out of fuel, pump the bulb and it start running again. How do i find out if air is getting in somewhere, cause that is the only thing i can think it would be. Also how do i check the auto oiler? I am not sure it is mixing the oil like it is suposed to, the level in the sight glass has not changed over my last few trips out, and the last thing i need right now to blow this motor up. Thanks for any help.

2. Member
    Has the tank got a screw type vent? If so you may have closed it and that will cause it to creat a vacuum which will make it starve for gas.
    2012 Alpha 199 Mercury 225 Pro XS

3. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Or a bad fuel line

I would say Bad Fuel line...

Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Or a bad fuel line
    Yep. I'm betting that the fuel line has been deteriorated by the ethanol in the gas.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Banned
    Fuel lines or tank pick up?

7. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    We have a really great group of mechanics in our Motors forums here on BBC. Check with them...

8. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Buddy had same problem. Found out when he installed new battery he accidentally pinch shut his fuel line

9. Banned
    Vent screw cap

10. Banned
    Anti siphon could be bad, too.

11. Member
    OP, you described the exact same problem I just wrestled with. A couple of the guys are right on it. Mine was a fuel line issue, specifically, it was being pinched. I did exactly what you did by replacing the bulb too.
    Last edited by Tone357; 05-14-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Member
    I know you said you rebuilt the fuel pump.
    I had problem just like yours.....tried many things including rebuilding fuel pump.
    Pump was rebuilt by top notch mechanic.
    Tried 3 different bulbs.
    New fuel line.
    Still the problem persisted.
    I had to pump bulb every time I started motor.
    I ordered new fuel pump online and installed myself.
    End of problem!
    I have since found out it is hard to rebuilt a fuel pump CORRECTLY!

13. Member
    Had the same problem on my merc 20hp, ended up being the gas tank itself!

I'll be watching this to see what you come up with. Mine did that to me today also but when I would pump the bulb it would stay flat for 30 to 45 seconds each time like its got a vacuum problem and the tank is no longer vented.

Mark Welch Bossier Parish,LA. "Sportsman's Paradise"
    Check out my FB page https://www.facebook.com/Altered-IRO...4017377675928/
    '90 PROCroft 180, Mercury 150 xr4
    '03 WaterMoccasin pirogue 54lb. MotorGuide

15. Member
    Guess i am going to check the fuel lines. How exactly would i tell if they are bad? Also any ideas on the oiler?

Quote Originally Posted by kissfan4 View Post
    Guess i am going to check the fuel lines. How exactly would i tell if they are bad? Also any ideas on the oiler?
    The inside of the fuel line will be disintegrating...chipping or clumping off in pieces.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

17. Member
    So itore into this today since i plan to go out tomorrow, fuel lines looked good, checked in a couple of places. I dont know what else to check, what would i be looking for on the fuel pick up? I might check that befotr heading out tomorrow.

18. Member
    Female connector to the engine

19. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    Take off the fuel line from engine and slice off 1/2 inch and then dissect it sideways to look inside fuel line. Sometimes there is a plastic insert that goes bad. I am NO Mechanic just know about this could be problem.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loweman11 View Post
    Female connector to the engine
    Disconnected it and pressed the check valve, fuel squirts out. I guess it could be the primer bulb again. Just because it is new, doesnt mean its not faulty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast