Dobyn's knowledge needed

Looking to move to dobyns rods. My all-time / old time stick is a Team Daiwa Light&Tough.....flippin/pitching 7'6 for weights 1/4 - 1 and 1/2. I have three still but want to test the waters with the new stuff yet keep the power and action. What models in Dobyns line best match?

2. Member
    Might I recommend the Dobyns Champion XP Flipping 765FLIP? If you really want a good Dobyns flipping rod that's what I would go with.

3. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBass94 View Post
    Might I recommend the Dobyns Champion XP Flipping 765FLIP? If you really want a good Dobyns flipping rod that's what I would go with.
    Agree and I love my dobyns. Btw I used to swear by the light and toughs. Then I started busting the cork grips when tightening reels. Guess maybe the cork was drying out or something but you could not give me one now

4. Member
    Champion 764c is what I'd recommend. I would also recommend you call Dobyn's direct and explain what your looking for.

5. Member
    Champion 765 would be as close as you could get, with the champion blank being much more sensitive. I wouldn't reccomend the 765, is isn't nearly as stiff as the LT you have

6. Member
    I used to use the Daiwa L&T series flipping sticks. For the money they were great. I had heard a lot of stuff about the Dobyns rods and while at the Classic one year I picked a DX 765 up just to try, The very first time I used it I won a tournament with it. Got on a good pitching bite and used it all day. After using it for about half a year I ordered a DX 795 model. Fast forward a few years and now I own three. Two 795's and the 765. I don't think there is a better flipping stick out there. The feel is different from the L&T rods. I wasn't sure I could get used to the full handle again but after using them for a couple of ears it is a non issue. I still own a few other brands of flipping sticks. It is my favorite way to fish. I still have the L&T rods, a falcon Cara, Daiwa Tatula and a St Croix 7'11" rod and I have sold a few others. The only flipping sticks in my boat now are the Dobyns.

7. Member
    I meant to say I wouldn't reccomend 764....lol

8. Member
    Thanks all. You provided what I was interested in hearing