Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    For grins, since DI comes from blended SI, it might work - the G2N's have dedicated DI....
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
    What happens if you select SI only?
    Same as before.....disconnects every 1-2 minutes.

3. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Yeah, I would be contacting HB on this with the info I PM'd you a while ago....
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

You need to start the Ethernet switch 1st - allow it a minute or 2 too boot up, then your "master" Ethernet connected unit another 2-3 minutes, then start the other unit(s) a few minutes apart.

ONE at a time and allow at least 1-3 minutes between each to allow them to acquire and IP address and start Ethernet communications.

See how that works & report back.

What determines the master unit ?

5. Member
    Yeah, I would be contacting HB on this with the info I PM'd you a while ago....
    It's probably worth at least a phone call and I GREATLY appreciate your info and input on this thread. The negatives are potentially losing my now "working" units if they want me to send the in, the fact that they are now out of warranty, and finding a time to give up part of a day at work to sit on the phone with HB.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgeod View Post
    I interpreted this as the unit with the data/sonar that I want to share with other units. But I suppose this could get complex if you want to have multiple units being the sonar source.

7. Member
    It would normally be the unit providing the shared network source which could be sonar, imaging, GPS, etc.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

8. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    The unit you will be pulling all or most of your data from.

I currently have the HS GPS ran to my H12MSI and it has all sonar signals being used - the bow units can only share the Chirp 2D, so I run them on different frequencies as well as offset the 2D on the 12 MSI to reduce cross talk between units in deeper water.

If I turn off Chirp - I can pass signals around all 4 units, but I like the 12 MSI and Chirp a lot....lol

(Define normal Wes!!!)
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

9. Member
    I also noted that my SI unit (that I want to share with the others) always reverted to the 455 frequency. When I changed it to 800, within a minute it switched itself back to 455. Now that I have turned off SI and DI on the bow (receiving unit), the 800 stays. It made me wonder if I need to have the bow/receiving unit with the same settings? I wonder if this "disagreement" caused the disconnect. I will try making my bow unit match tomorrow to see if i can get SI/DI again.

10. Member
    The unit you will be pulling all or most of your data from.

I currently have the HS GPS ran to my H12MSI and it has all sonar signals being used - the bow units can only share the Chirp 2D, so I run them on different frequencies as well as offset the 2D on the 12 MSI to reduce cross talk between units in deeper water.

If I turn off Chirp - I can pass signals around all 4 units, but I like the 12 MSI and Chirp a lot....lol

(Define normal Wes!!!)

Attached Images Attached Images
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

11. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    I found another thing to try...

Switch the unit that's dropping source to none by unchecking the SI source.

Shut it down and make sure the SI unit is fully booted.

Restart the unit (DI machine?) and after it fully starts, add the SI unit back as the SI source and see if that works.

I had a similar issue Y/D and did those exact steps & had no problem after that.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

12. Member
    I found another thing to try...

Switch the unit that's dropping source to none by unchecking the SI source.

Shut it down and make sure the SI unit is fully booted.

Restart the unit (DI machine?) and after it fully starts, add the SI unit back as the SI source and see if that works.

I had a similar issue Y/D and did those exact steps & had no problem after that.
    I am having this issue with my 2 helix 10, wondering if a solution was found. No success yet with humminbird select tech support ?

13. Member
    My issue finally resolved. It's been a while, but I now let each unit power up separately with a couple minutes in between. I never thought about it before this thread, but that should include the ethernet unit. So now my routine is at the ramp when I'm putting in the plug, etc, I also turn on the power in the boat just short of cranking the motor. I think this allows the ethernet unit to boot up, although I have also read it's always on and can slowly drain your battery. Then I launch the boat and turn on my 1st HB graph which is the main one that shares sonar with others. Then a couple more minutes and turn on my 2nd graph on the console and go to my fishing spot. Then I turn on my 3rd and final graph at the bow.

14. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Yep - this I bookmarked so we could try to help folks out.

Toofy is right on the money....

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....62#post8728862
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toofy View Post
    My issue finally resolved. It's been a while, but I now let each unit power up separately with a couple minutes in between. I never thought about it before this thread, but that should include the ethernet unit. So now my routine is at the ramp when I'm putting in the plug, etc, I also turn on the power in the boat just short of cranking the motor. I think this allows the ethernet unit to boot up, although I have also read it's always on and can slowly drain your battery. Then I launch the boat and turn on my 1st HB graph which is the main one that shares sonar with others. Then a couple more minutes and turn on my 2nd graph on the console and go to my fishing spot. Then I turn on my 3rd and final graph at the bow.
    ok thanks so much for your reply. I tried things again in my garage, like what you describe and they seem to have stayed connected for about an hour without a drop, so I turned it all off. My hub is wired to an accessory switch for power, I used to just leave it on, but at some point i was worried about battery drain like you mentioned and started switching it off, this behavior change just might coincide with the issue appearing, if I dont follow the sequence, then after being out on the water a while the connection issue seems to go away.

I also have an ulterra with i-pilot link connected to the hub, I read a post suggesting it be powered up last, do any of you guys know if that is really true ?? I guess I could test it, I did confirm that the connection issue would appear without ever turning on the ulterra. this is important because I often use the ulterra to launch my boat and using the remote to deploy the motor without ever having to get out of my truck, makes for a nice time saver when going out by myself or someone who doesn't know how to pull/back a trailer.

I looked back through my e-mails with tech support and this is what they said about turning stuff on, funny how she kind of contradicts herself in the same reply.

Thank you for contacting Humminbird Customer Service. The network is kind of like a computer. It doesn't matter the sequence that everything is turned on but will need approximately 90 seconds before everything will show connected. The I Pilot Link looks to the primary unit for its first command but after that it either unit can give a command. The primary unit is the unit that turns on first. Yes the hub should be turned on first.
    If we can assist you further on this subject or any other Humminbird related questions please feel free email us again or contact our Customer Resource Center at 1-800-633-1468 to speak with a Customer Service Representative. Our hours are Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Wednesday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Good Fishing and Boating!
    Kimberly
    Humminbird Customer Service

16. Member
    I have the same Ulterra and I turn it on before I launch and I don't have any problems. I never thought about it being yet another component in the network to boot separately.
    I also did all the "reset to factory defaults" stuff listed earlier in the thread. I think that helped.

17. Member
    I have the same problem with my 2 Gen1 Helixes. SI on console and DI on bow. Issue has come up ever since I bought the boat new last year. Intermittently I get the "sonar source not found" and both screens default back to Bird's Eye View. And yes, I've tried rebooting both units and it's a hit or miss kind of thing. Sometimes I can get them to talk to each other, sometimes not. (Maybe I stumbled on to your solution by accident?)
    At times it gets so frustrating that I just turn off the network and run them separately.

I was going to wait until Spring to bring this issue up since I can't troubleshoot the problem now with the boat covered up for the winter. I was thinking it was a bad cable or switch.
    You guys think that the start up sequence is the issue? If it is, that would save me a whole lot of aggravation. Anyway, thanks for the tip!!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydbee View Post
    I have the same problem with my 2 Gen1 Helixes. SI on console and DI on bow. Issue has come up ever since I bought the boat new last year. Intermittently I get the "sonar source not found" and both screens default back to Bird's Eye View. And yes, I've tried rebooting both units and it's a hit or miss kind of thing. Sometimes I can get them to talk to each other, sometimes not. (Maybe I stumbled on to your solution by accident?)
    At times it gets so frustrating that I just turn off the network and run them separately.

I was going to wait until Spring to bring this issue up since I can't troubleshoot the problem now with the boat covered up for the winter. I was thinking it was a bad cable or switch.
    You guys think that the start up sequence is the issue? If it is, that would save me a whole lot of aggravation. Anyway, thanks for the tip!!
    Humminbird did suggest restore defaults with both units not connected to ethernet, then they thought it was either a bad ethernet cable or hub, you can rule this out by connecting both units together directly with a new ethernet cable, it seems that most of the time the units will eventually sort things out if there is not a hardware issue, but following the "toofy" sequence sure seems to help them get to talking much quicker !! there seems to be a lot of variation on how the hub is wired for power, accessory switched, ignition or constant.

19. Member
    I'd say losing it Carl.
    Kicks you to the map when it happens.
    Then fire up your network and while all is booted, pull each network connection live while booted.
    Leave each disconnected and reset defaults.
    Shut down each. Restart each disconnected reset each, shut down each and reset defaults again.
    Reconnect the network and set it back up again and wait at least 3 minutes per unit between each startup.
    Add in each unit and retry all of this again.
    I've had to do this once in 10 years.
    my 2 helix 10 with i-pilot link and transom 360 and hub got better for a while, then the advanced sonar lost error came back with a vengeance.......I have done the following:
    extensive e-mail and photo and video with humminbird tech support and phone call friday where Vakeela Powell at humminbird thought it was more likely a power issue than a unit/software issue, which prompted me to re-wire the power to the bow unit which unfortunately did not solve the issue
    hub and 360 unit are wired to an accessory switch which is wired to the fuse block
    check all the wiring, and I have 10 gauge wire from my battery to a 12 position all seas fuse block at the console
    console unit is direct wired to it with fresh connectors crimped with di-electric grease
    bow unit was wired to an existing wire in the boat labeled gps at the fuse block with a .1v voltage drop relative to the console unit, I re-wired the bow unit with 14 gauge wire to the fuse block, per my meter there is now no voltage drop from the battery, to fuse block, to reported voltage from the screen of either unit......
    i purchased a new ethernet cable at bass pro and connected the 2 units directly with the cable, bypassing the hub, and still would get intermittent advanced sonar source lost within 1-2 min of turning on the units and the connection drop would recur every couple minutes or so and last about 10-30 seconds
    both units have latest software as does the ulterra and i-pilot link, and I did restore defaults on the units prior to updating the software
    I did discover a bad battery on my trolling 24v setup, so I replaced both with a duracell agm great deal by the way at sams club on these till 3/25, by comparing specs this is the same battery bass pro charges 339$, 219$ at batteries plus or 139$ at sams , and I have a newish X2 agm from batteries plus for my cranking battery, these are high quality agm batteries made in missouri...voltage on all 3 batteries is in the 12.8v range
    I have a basspro xps 3 bank charger, with the bank for cranking battery wired correctly, and confirmed each bank is charging correctly with meter

despite all this would still get the intermittent drops as well as frequent bow unit freeze ups, did quick reset defaults on both and freeze got better but would still get intermittent advanced sonar source lost message

so then I tried the hot unplug and multiple reset method above and things are definitely better sitting in my garage, but my confidence that it will last is thin, so my question is:
    what is this hot unplug and multiple reset sequence doing that is making a difference, that just a single reset does not ?
    is this the sequence that makes the units reset new ip addresses ?
    did adding the 360 to my network send things awry ?
    do the units need to be restored this way anytime something is added to the network ?

thanks in advance for your help !!
    2016 Tracker pro team 175txw 75hp 4 stroke
    helix 12 si console helix 10 di and helix 10 si bow and ulterra 80 i-pilot link and transom 360 and Garmin 126sv and Livescope

20. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    The physically disconnection sequence resets the "stuck" IP address/es so if it's still malfunction from the post IP reset - you have gone down the right path contacting HB, because something has gone intermittent and may be the AS ETH 5PXG itself.

If you decided to IP rest again, I suggest changing the port locations of the H10's and maybe the 360 either to another port or taken out of the loop for more testing to see if that can be a cause.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast