Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Phoenix vs Skeeter

Hello,

I currently own a 2013 ZX200 Skeeter. I originally wanted a Phoenix but at the time no dealers had the model I wanted. I am curious who also once had a Skeeter and do you believe you notice more benefits switching to Phoenix? Appreciate any feed back.

Dan

2. Member
    I ran an older model skeeter zx250 with a 2015 SHO on it before going to phoenix. Now run a phoenix 920 and next boat will be a phoenix 920. I was going to get a new fx20, 21, or zx250. After demo on new skeeters I did not like the new hulls as much as the older hull I was in because they were slower and didn't seem to ride as good. I decided I wanted a 20ft boat and test ran FX20, V20, z520C, 20trx, and 920. Went with the 920 because I was my favorite blend of speed, ride, layout, storage and price. My older skeeter would get the nod on ride and handling. Still to this day I think its the best riding boat I've ever been in and would not chine walk if you drove 3 miles with your hands behind your back at WOT. That being said, the 920 rode better than the fx20 I ran. I also have never liked the skeeter livewells.

3. Member
    I run a 2016 fx20 Le , although I love the boat and layout and especially the sho , and it's a good rough water boat , I'm liking the 920/921 more and more , biggest thing for me is dealer wise , I had a Phoenix dealer 15 minutes from my house but they lost the contract with them and gave it to the skeeter dealer hour and half away, so for me going to Phoenix or skeeter dealer is same distance
    2019 RANGER 198P DUAL CONSOLE

The Gun Parlor

4. Scraps
    I bought my Phoenix last year and was looking real hard at the Skeeters. The Skeeter package pricing was pretty tough to turn down and I have a dealer reasonably close. I really like the looks of the Skeeters better, especially the trailer, but in the end the issues of quality I was reading, compared to what I was hearing about the Phoenix, made me choose the Phoenix. One thing I was unaware of with the Skeeters, I always thought they were really fast, I know some are, but didn't realize that they were known for such good fishability.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    Yea I'm sure your talking about towne, that's where my fx20 came from and I bought it 3 months old from a guy here in mass , have be disappointed on how it was rigged by them which is totally un acceptable , super glued a quick connect back together to get livewell to pumps to pump in, looks like my 5yr old epoxied the livewell intakes on the bottom of transom and hardened leaked epoxy all down to bottom of boat just frustrated how these dealers pump these boats out, she handles well in rough water for sure , and fishes really well in rough water , been looking hard at Phoenix but don't like the local dealer up here At all , where did you buy yours kringden?
    2019 RANGER 198P DUAL CONSOLE

The Gun Parlor

I appreciate the information. Now the real hurdle is if I want to sell my Skeeter and look at spending that much money for another boat. I have my boat pretty set on how I fish. Dual Lowrance Touch on Precision Mount at Console, Touch 7 and Precision Mount at Bow, H2 Hydrowave, Point 1, Steps on Trailer, and custom cover. I could not replace all this without spend over $50K that is what is sickening now if I want to move to Phoenix Think I would love to have the 819 model. Decisions Decisions! LOL!! Thanks again for information.

Dan

7. Member
    I had a ZX 200 also before my 920 and there is no comparison Phoenix blows Skeeter away on everything glad I made the switch and will never own any other brand.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

No dog in this fight as I run a Basscat. When I was shopping a few years ago, I looked at Phoenix and Skeeters. Ain't no doubt, I would go with a Phoenix.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjochum73 View Post
    I appreciate the information. Now the real hurdle is if I want to sell my Skeeter and look at spending that much money for another boat. I have my boat pretty set on how I fish. Dual Lowrance Touch on Precision Mount at Console, Touch 7 and Precision Mount at Bow, H2 Hydrowave, Point 1, Steps on Trailer, and custom cover. I could not replace all this without spend over $50K that is what is sickening now if I want to move to Phoenix Think I would love to have the 819 model. Decisions Decisions! LOL!! Thanks again for information.

Dan
    If what you have works well, I'd stick with it
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Ive owned two Skeeters and fished out of plenty. The two boats do NOT compare.

LUND 1875 Pro Guide 👊🏻✊🏻

11. Member
    I came out of a 2004 Skeeter ZX225, and now have a 2017 721. I live in Texas, so nearly all my friends own Skeeters from the zx225-fx21s. The fishing platforms on a skeeter are very stable, but so are the Phoenixes, so you won't be disappointed. The tackle layout in my skeeter was simple and organized, but kind of small compared to my Phoenix. The live wells on a Skeeter suck, they're small, nothing more to be said. The ride on the Skeeter is nice, great hole shot, but you will notice what is called a "Skeeter hop" as the Bass Elite guys called it when I was marshaling. It kind of porpoises, and you'll really notice it in some chop, and then it makes a slapping noise. Phoenix has a much smoother ride in rough water as it cuts waves and wakes better, but you'll have to learn to drive it with the chine walk.

The two biggest factors that sold me on a Phoenix over a Skeeter was how much better the Phoenix fishes with the trolling motor down. The Skeeter blows around in the wind, even in shallow water. I fished Lewisville yesterday and even with the wind and wakes from pleasure boats, my 721 stuck in it's spot when fishing and landing fish. I find myself constantly telling my wife or friends who are fishing with me, "if this was my skeeter we would be blown into the bank already." Second factor was price. The LE package is great, but it's still over priced IMO. You don't even get a hydro jack plate. You can build a 721/920/921 for much cheaper than the LE package and get all the upgrades you want. PM me if you have any specific questions, I have been in and test drove all the newer Skeeters, as I really considered it before I got my Phoenix.

12. Member
    I had been in skeeters prior to my last three birds, and was a "skeeter fan". Still think Skeeter makes a great boat. My best skeeter was an 03 zx250, but they are not in the same class as phoenix with rough water ride. not even comparable imo. Just do a demo ride in a bird and the first good boat wake you cross you will understand. It is that much of a difference.
    Matthew 6:33
    2020 921elite

13. Member
    Ride in them and decide. I owned Bullet. One guy I fished with owned a new skeeter, another of my friends owned a Phoenix.

I now own a 2017 Phoenix.
    Trevor

2022 Phoenix 721 Mercury 250 Pro XS

14. Member
    Had a Skeeter before I purchased a Phoenix this winter. I had a ZX190 and went to a 618Pro. Loved my Skeeter, but everything extra was an option and additional expense. A Phoenix comes ready to fish. Many things are standard equipment that would be an "option" on a Skeeter. Love the performance of the Phoenix on the water. Trailer is way better. Now, I did like the Yamaha motor on the Skeeter. ZERO issues in 10 years. Hopin my new Merc follow suit. I'm very pleased I made the switch. Probably the biggest reason I made the switch though was my Phoenix dealer. Solid, solid, solid.

15. Smallmouth Junkie!
    I own a Skeeter and it is a good boat but my next boat will most likely be a Phoenix. I fish Lake St. Clair often and I get beat the heck up on a long run out there. My Wife fishes with me and I don't take it easy for her at all. I want her to know what that boat rides like so when I am ready for a new one she is on board with the purchase
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

Good info. I like my Skeeter a lot and it does well but not a fan of the screw in deck system they use. The live-wells really need some work. The performance and handling is great so it works. What will prob most likely keep me from getting a Phoenix is the cost of a new boat. I just can not bring myself to paying those prices for an item not being used every day, every week, or every month of a year.

Buddy runs a Skeeter...He loves my 921.

18. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Good info. I like my Skeeter a lot and it does well but not a fan of the screw in deck system they use. The live-wells really need some work. The performance and handling is great so it works. What will prob most likely keep me from getting a Phoenix is the cost of a new boat. I just can not bring myself to paying those prices for an item not being used every day, every week, or every month of a year.
    They aren't going to get cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    They aren't going to get cheaper.
    Totally understand they are not going to get any cheaper. Paid over $40K for my Skeeter in 2014 new. Maybe I will pull the trigger next season.

Dan

20. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Totally understand they are not going to get any cheaper. Paid over $40K for my Skeeter in 2014 new. Maybe I will pull the trigger next season.

Dan
    I know you know...Just planting the seed!
    I bought brand new last year, and will probably be the last chance I had to get a brand new boat. I got everything I wanted and don't regret it.
    Weida's Marine is probably your closest Phoenix dealer. They sold me mine and are great guys in sales AND service. Give them a chance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast