Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Satellite tv and camping

We are thinking of buying a King Quest satellite, just wondering if anyone here uses one and what type of receiver box you have hooked up to it? I was told my HD box would not work. Oh I'm with Direct Tv. How well does it work when you are camping? Thanks for any feed back!
    89 Ranger 360v/05 Optimax 200

2. Papap
    We have dish. It cost us $7 a month. Love it.
    2016 Ranger RT188
    Suzuki 115SS
    80# Fourtrex
    Lowrance HDS 10 & 9

Quote Originally Posted by papap View Post
    How do you get for $ 7.00 / month ?

2009 ELITE 210

Quote Originally Posted by papap View Post
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Papap
    I have dish at home. They charge me $7 for the extra service at camp.
    2016 Ranger RT188
    Suzuki 115SS
    80# Fourtrex
    Lowrance HDS 10 & 9

We tried the portable satellite on a tripod and bought a HD box from Direct tv, but I only found a signal one time and that was in my yard. So do you have a automatic satellite or traditional?

7. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    We have the dish tailgater. Works just fine but you need a clear line of sight to the satellites. Trees are a big problem at many of the camp sites we stay at
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

8. Papap
    I have the tailgater. You just set it on the ground and it does its thing.
    2016 Ranger RT188
    Suzuki 115SS
    80# Fourtrex
    Lowrance HDS 10 & 9

9. Banned
    DISH Network is the preferred satellite service to use for RV's.

They have a RV plan that allows you to cut the service on and off for a month--when you're camping. If you're not camping December to March, there's no charges. The only thing you have to buy is the dish and a $120 receiver. It's not for "rental" or provided equipment most people have in their houses.

Yeah I understand what you are saying about dish, but with already having Direct that's who I'm gonna try and stay with.
    Last edited by SCfisher; 05-20-2017 at 11:41 AM.

11. Member
    I don't think you can get a portable dish.for DirecTV that gets HD programming.

You are right, I figured this out after some research. If I go with the king quest I'll have to use a standard box and direct don't offer those anymore.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    We have an oval HD dish on a tripod with DIRECTV that we take camping with us. We have no trouble getting signal at most campgrounds, all that is required is line of site to the satellites. We turn our receivers in the camper on for the summer while we're camping and have them shut off for the winter when we're not. A simple call to DIRECTV is all we have to do for either case. There are apps for either apple or droid that help with lining up the dish and helping you determine the proper direction for lining up with the satellites. I'm usually in business in under 10 minutes from start to watching HD channels.

14. Banned
    Our fifth wheel trailer stays in the same campground all the time. Thankfully, we have regular cable television--and we're wired for WIFI. Only problem is getting a cellphone signal because a mountain above us blocks the signal from the tower 2 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Meadows View Post
    We have an oval HD dish on a tripod with DIRECTV that we take camping with us. We have no trouble getting signal at most campgrounds, all that is required is line of site to the satellites. We turn our receivers in the camper on for the summer while we're camping and have them shut off for the winter when we're not. A simple call to DIRECTV is all we have to do for either case. There are apps for either apple or droid that help with lining up the dish and helping you determine the proper direction for lining up with the satellites. I'm usually in business in under 10 minutes from start to watching HD channels.
    Man I think we are to dumb for ours. We have a oval slimline HD also and we tried a couple apps and like I said before the only time I got a signal was in my yard. That is why I was thinking about spending the money for a King Quest so it will find it for mebut I will say we are always in the mountains and lots of trees. But I do see other dishes out at other sites so....

back in roof antenna use days, at lake just got 1 fuzzy multi color Neapolitan Pattern no sound channel So it was lot of DVD Movies or Music CD's. But I'd rather have the nature sounds as camp. Most state and Army Corp lakes with campgrounds don't have cable hook ups. COA, and Private Ones Do. And since the past Administration done away with receiving Free Antenna TV . For very long trips, May as well travel and stay in Motels since cost of a COA is not much cheaper than a motel, eat in a restaurant , and no Black tank to empty or dishes to wash etc .

17. Member
    lot of free digital tv stations now , you might consider just a digital antenna

18. Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    lot of free digital tv stations now , you might consider just a digital antenna
    Yep, I have been considering it. Thanks

20. Member
    Interesting, I dumped cable, and dish. I have reg internet and run Sling TV and when we are on the road 6 mo out of the yr I run Sling off my cell works great $30.00 a mo. and I talk my sports channels with me.... ME & Walter are related! Dam Cable providers ripoff city is what that is...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast