Thread: Coil issue?

Coil issue?

#1B529036, 2007, 200 Optimax

While fishing a club tournament this morning, at blast off the engine ran great and for the first mile of WOT it ran great. Shortly after that I felt something like I bumped some drift but realized that the engine had developed a slight miss. We stopped and fished for a couple hours then fired up to run to another spot and the engine had recovered no problem. While moving to another location the miss started again plus I lost around 10mph as will as rpm's.......engine felt like something was holding it back. The farther I went the worse it got......top speed was 59 and even at idle you could tell something was wrong. Got it home and pulled all the plugs, #5 was fouled very bad and it's obvious it wasn't firing, at this point I'm pretty sure the coil took a dump........is this a fair assumption?
    Last edited by Thermodude; 05-19-2017 at 04:58 AM.

I lost a coil the other day on my opti and the symptoms you describing is exactly what mine did. I came home and used a spark plug tester to figure out which one wasn't firing. Replaced the bad coil and back in business.

2004 Bullet 20XRD
    2008 Mercury 300XS
    SN: 1E003611

3. Member
    Perform a spark test........Could be spark plug, coil wire, coil, coil wiring harness, etc.....

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Perform a spark test........Could be spark plug, coil wire, coil, coil wiring harness, etc.....
    Plug wires are a week old, did a plug test and it's fine, at this point I'm pointing at the coil......

5. Member
    Does the coil have power????

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Does the coil have power????
    Honestly, I only assumed it does I will check that this morning. One thing I did do was Ohm the pins on the suspect coil versus the others. I know there is a specific procedure for this however I was checking for a bad connection within the coil. On the other 5 coils I get a reading on all the pins, on the suspect coil I don't.

Mercury replaced a BUNCH of coils about the time yours was made.
    Not all of them would show to be bad under test even though it would crap out intermittently under use before complete failure.

8. Member
    Just curious but shouldn't my monitor have shown me a code?

9. Member
    Yes, it was the coil!!

Glad it's working..