Prop Suggestions

Have a 193 w/ 200 hp OX66 Yamaha on an 8 inch backplate. I don't have a prop to pad measurement because I run a hydraulic jack. I just got all of my gauges working so I know what she is dong now. I am running a Tempest 25. With the jack all the way down I am running 63mph at 5400 rpm. If I start raising the jack, I get my rpm's to where I want them (about 5800), but I slip so badly that I lose nearly 10 mph. Any suggestions?

2. Member
    Have prop checked and see what prop to pad measurement is. Your 25 tempest should be the right prop.

3. Pat Goff
    Tempest is exactly the right prop, something else is going on to make it act stupid like that.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

Try leaving engine lower in the water and use trim to get the rpms up instead. Maybe raising propshaft too high?

5. Member
    I just got the prop back from Steve's have it repaired after a stump incident that destroyed my lower unit and bent the prop. I put a lower unit off of a 2005 VZ250 HPDI that has the low water pickups on my VX200. Actually measured prop to pad and it is at 3.5in fully lowered. My last tournament of the season is this weekend and I intend to put the boat down to have the fuel injectors cleaned and do some minor maintenance on things that have broken over the course of the year. on thing I found last night that is definitely not good is that I have water bubbling up through a screw hole in the bottom of my starboard battery compartment. I am going to see if I can air it out and dry it out and then plug the screw holes so water doesn't get in there again. Transom was supposed to have been inspected and re-sealed last October by my fiberglass guy just after I bought the boat, but I am not sure that he actually did it.

6. Member
    Update!!!!! Dropped my prop off at Steve's yesterday to have Josh double check the repair. He found something out of whack on the prop and got it straightened out. I have to hand it to Steve and Josh! They are human just like the rest of us and make a mistake from time to time, but they stand behind their work! Going to lake test this afternoon before we leave tomorrow for Ray Roberts and the Texas High School Bass Association state finals. Wish us luck!

7. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Let us know how it turns out....and good luck in the Finals!!!

Detail the water bubbling up in the battery box. Down in the bilge area? Kind of confusioning.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

9. Member
    The bilge will stay dry. My batteries are not mounted in the center hole with the fuel tank like I have seen on a lot of Champs. My batteries are mounted in rear compartments that are on each side of the gas tank compartment. I have my cranking battery and charger mounted on the starboard side and my two trolling batteries in the port side. The starboard box stays damp for days after a rain or a trip to the lake. When I swapped my group 24 for the group 31AGM the other day I heard a gurgling sound. The additional weight of the battery was causing water to bubble up through an old screw hole in the floor of that battery compartment. I am going to try to dry it out with heat lams like you would a waterlogged transom. I am going to check my transom while I am at it an if it doesn't look good I am going to go crawl all over my fiberglass guy and give him a chance to make things right before I call him out for not doing what I had requested be done and got charged for.
    Last edited by NotEarl; 05-18-2017 at 09:04 AM.