MinnKota Maxxum 70 Speed Control Issue

I started having a weird issue with my Maxxum 70 a few weeks ago. I can put the speed control on say "20" and it will run at what I think is 20. With no rhyme or reason, suddenly the motor will be running at speed "10" or so without me having moved the speed control knob. It will run that way for a bit and then suddenly it will go back to speed "20" on its own. It may change when I step on the switch or it might change in the middle of it running.

I have checked all cable connections and all are good. I have wiggled wires that I can get to in the foot pedal and nothing changes. I have also wiggled the speed control knob and it does not make it change. It just changes on its own when it wants to.

The motor runs great other than this issue. It can get frustrating when I have to crank the motor up to speed 30 to get what should be speed 20 or so. Then all of a sudden it will run at 30 and I have to turn it back down to 20. Then, when it decides to change back to slow, I have to turn it back up to 30. This continues for as long as I am on the water. I thought I was losing my mind at first or that I was just accidentally bumping the speed control knob, but it is definitely changing speeds on its own.

The motor is about 4 years old with not alot of use on it.

Anyone have any ideas or had this happen to them before? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Member
    Could be one of two problems. I have seen it happen when you have water in the motor or you have a bad board. The speed control could be bad on the board. Only way to verify would be to change the board. The water in the motor is a bit of a stretch but easy to check. Remove the prop and loosen the bottom bolt on the motor. If there is any water then it could be the cause, but I am leaning to the speed control on the board, which you have to change the board to fix. About $155 for new board.

3. Member
    Appreciate the info, I will check for water in the motor first then look at getting a board. Thanks!

4. Member
    As said above, water intrusion is usually that issue if the motor has minimal use. When you take a bolt out, either bolt, you see on the bolt if it has/had water intrusion. the bolt will either be wet or show signs of being wet.
    The control board could also be a problem, though not likely. In paying attention to when the speeds change, does it do it with movement of the foot. The ribbon cable can go bad and cause the speed to vary, but this usually makes it jump to wide open instead of up and down a knotch. Let me know if I can help.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    John, I can sometimes wiggle the foot and make it change speeds, but not every time. I will check the bolts tomorrow and might give you a call with my findings to see what you think I need to do. Thanks!

6. Member
    I removed both bolts out about an inch and could not see any water or signs of water intrusion on the bolts. I took the bottom plate off the foot control and ran it on constant while I wiggled wires. When I moved the ribbon cable to the speed control, the speed would vary so it seems like that is the culprit. I assume there is no way to change out the ribbon cable, the control board will need to be replaced?

7. Member
    yes, I've seen the ribbon cable as the culprit before. You're correct, you have to change the control board. We keep them instock.
    John
    870 773 3474
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    Thanks John! Just called and ordered one from you. Appreciate the help!