Need advice on. Mercury Black max motor

Found this boat with a mercury Black max 200, owner said steering cable is locked up and cant drive but motor still starts up and in good condition, how do I know or tell if motor still runs good without test driving it?

2. Member
    Find a good ramp where you can back it in and put it in gear while on the trailer??? Still can't run it up to speed but at least you'll know it shifts well (they all pretty much shift on the hose... no water resistance against the prop).
    New record!! Caught several bass on December 31st. In Michigan! From my boat!

3. Member
    have it checked by reputable tech/ could use a low pitch prop on ramp also for shifting and acceration check
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Also double check why steering is locked up, if it's in the motor, may require removing head or motor to fix, which can be costly. Just because he says it the cable, could be something else.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Also double check why steering is locked up, if it's in the motor, may require removing head or motor to fix, which can be costly. Just because he says it the cable, could be something else.
    How can I tell if it's lock up in the motor?

6. Member
    Disconnect steering cable and see if motor will turn by pushing on it. If steering tube or pivot is broken it can be expensive to repair. A more experience person here may have some better advice to help you.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Disconnect steering cable and see if motor will turn by pushing on it. If steering tube or pivot is broken it can be expensive to repair. A more experience person here may have some better advice to help you.

The owner said that it's possibly siezed at the rod that's inside the tilt tube
    I'm thinking of buying the boat and motor to use the motor onto my boat, I have hydraulic steering on my boat and I'm planning to use the hydraulic steering when I swap the motor, does this eliminate me having to fix the siezed steering on the boat I'm going to buy or do I still have to get it unsiezed first before I can put that motor onto my boat?

8. Member
    yes/loosen the nut on tilt tube for steering take link rod off tap on end off cable rod for some clearance and cut it off then drive it out with long punch or rod of some sort might want lube it so it slides out better there is tube bush made for cleaning inside of tilt tube also hope this helps JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    yes/loosen the nut on tilt tube for steering take link rod off tap on end off cable rod for some clearance and cut it off then drive it out with long punch or rod of some sort might want lube it so it slides out better there is tube bush made for cleaning inside of tilt tube also hope this helps JOE
    Joe so I will have to get the rod that is siezed out of the tilt tube so I can use my hydraulic steering stuff on that motor right?

10. Member
    yes sir