Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Any die hard hunters in here just not into hunting turkey?

I cant figure out why but i have no desire to turkey hunt. I spend hour on end in the woods during deer season, spend hours in the dove field. Have grown up Squirrel, rabbit, coyote hunting. Told a buddy this year i wanted to go for spring turkey season and last minute opted out. Im sure if i ever went and got one it would be different.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

2. Member
    MAN......I wanted to go this year (& a few others in the past as well), but time & other stuff keeps coming up & miss the season.

I have till May 31st and I think I will miss it again Between Scouts (both kids) school functions, work and other things.....it just burns up time.

3. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Maybe thats my issue as well. I for so long have taken off work for deer season like its an annual holiday that its just a natural thing. Im sure if i Did the same for turkey season i could get amped up for it as well. Who knows!!! lol
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

I could never get into deer hunting. Like my dove and quail hunting, but I live to chase those thunderchickens. Been all over the South this year chasin them. Missed most of the crappie spawn.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOONER*REDNECK View Post
    Maybe thats my issue as well. I for so long have taken off work for deer season like its an annual holiday that its just a natural thing. Im sure if i Did the same for turkey season i could get amped up for it as well. Who knows!!! lol
    My vacations times now a days are around when kids are out of school more than around Hunting seasons. I used to take a few days off around Open Pheasant/Quail and hit them hard in panhandle. But those days are long gone now. Miss having a working dog & getting out there. Lucky enough to find time on Sundays (occasionally) to go fishing anymore. Add Scout functions on Weekends at least once a month, then my work schedule around that......it starts to get complicated to squeeze in a hunt or day out fishing. Then you get out there & because of other people, it becomes a hassle or a PITA anymore.

The last 8 years I have planned around Fishing for Freedom on Truman in the Fall (October, weekend before Columbus Day). That has really been my only "Vaca" time I take off other than spending time with my kids.

6. Member
    I deer hunted growing up, now no interest. Turkey (and duck) really more exciting , interesting to me. I've never bow hunted- May try this year, seems more interesting/challenging than gun for deer

7. Member
    For me turkey hunting is something to do. I look forward to it then after an hour in the blind I remember how dumb it is. I do it with a bow shooting one with a gun is about like shooting a Holstein cow... just not as much fun.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

8. Member
    Over 30 yrs. ago, I made my 1st turkey hunt. My brother and I were hunting together. I called a tom up from behind me. I sneezed...and of course, that was all of it. Funny thing is, my brother got fired up about turkey hunting but even though I went several times over the next 2 or 3 yrs., I would rather bass fish and that was right in the some of the best fishing. Today, we both deer hunt, but even he has stopped hunting turkeys even though he was good at calling them and killing them. The sad part though, is that he no longer bass fishes. He has taken up golf! Oh well...

9. Member
    I hunted them two years. Got one each year but never found a recipe that worked for me. They get so little pressure here it's not even sporting. Heck, they're in the back yard every day. I have done a little camera hunting for them though. It's fun watching them huff and puff while trying to get a perfect shot with the right lighting and background.

10. Member
    I'm with you. I enjoy hearing them gobble, but the few I harvested didn't taste like store-bought, so I spend my time doing other things.

Never had a desire tohunt turkeys, I watch them and listen to them. When im deer hunting I even let them walk bye me.....but my hunting is dog hunting, I would go run dogs any day of the week whether its for deer or hogs. I love the sound of a hound

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil red 02 View Post
    Never had a desire tohunt turkeys, I watch them and listen to them. When im deer hunting I even let them walk bye me.....but my hunting is dog hunting, I would go run dogs any day of the week whether its for deer or hogs. I love the sound of a hound
    I do too, Brent. But after they started leasing all the land around home, I got into coon hunting and that more than satisfied my itch to hear the hounds. Haven't hunted coons now in a number of years but sure would love to hear one locate and set down on a tree. Nothing like it out there at night, so peaceful. When I got married, I had a Treeing Walker named Billy and my wife always said that she knew going into our marriage that she was no. 2...lol. After Billy died, my heart just wasn't in to it any longer.

never been turkey hunting in my life, except the yearly at thanksgiving time picking one up at grocery lolo.. Ga has March turkey season only. IMO real STUPID! who wants to freeze a Bird for 8 months?? Should be turkey season close to the Holiday I figure. Deer season I see wild turkeys all the time, mostly flocks of Hens, and never seen a Tom when deer hunting. Have heard a lot of leaves rustling and here they come with in 20 yds of where I'm sitting for a Deer

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by preacher ed View Post
    I do too, Brent. But after they started leasing all the land around home, I got into coon hunting and that more than satisfied my itch to hear the hounds. Haven't hunted coons now in a number of years but sure would love to hear one locate and set down on a tree. Nothing like it out there at night, so peaceful. When I got married, I had a Treeing Walker named Billy and my wife always said that she knew going into our marriage that she was no. 2...lol. After Billy died, my heart just wasn't in to it any longer.
    It's amazing to me how often this occurs, I too had a very strong loss with my Upland hunting Lab. Came from line in Colorado. Trained him and all to lock up and not flush until commanded. Had a lot of good times with him. I too never really got back into it after that. The day I had to put him down (cancer) I took him to a field and got him out, he sniffed around the edge & stopped, sat & looked at me. I said "Find da birds" and wave my arm out on command....and he was in search mode. He never found one but it was good to see him work 1 last time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by preacher ed View Post
    Never coon hunted but would try it in a second. I definitely know that feeling also, I had some jam up stock that was high dollar trophy winners and they were great when they were lost I had to replace and it wasnt the same.....after a couple year hiatus I had to do it again and forgot how much I missed it and bought new dogs and havent looked back yet. I will say they aren't what I used to have but Hell neither am I

And the statement about the wife being second is so true, My wife when we started dating saw how that went and acknowledged it. Sometimes I would be gone daylight till late in the night depending on how far in the swamp my hounds are. I love all my new Garmin tracking stuff but when they are out there its hard to get them back to the box. She knows I love her but I LOVE to hunt day or night with hounds.

As for you boys that dont have any anymore if ypu make it down here to Central Fl area or sometimes I go to North Fl, yall just holler of you want to ride and listen to some old hounds sing and strike out

16. Member
    I hunt dove, deer, & waterfowl. I used to turkey hunt and was very successful too. But I just lost interest. About 8-9 years ago I said I ain't going. And I haven't been back since and do not miss it. When people ask me if I been, they are in total shock when I tell them I haven't been in 8 years. They ask why?
    I tell them it's cold in am. You have on a heavy coat, you set up on turkey 200 yds from truck & that doesn't work out. Another one gobbles 400 yds away you make a move sun gets up. You shed that jacket then crawl across field to a tree and that gobbler hangs up. Then you hear another gobble and before you know it you are 1 mile from truck, 85 degrees, soak and wet from crawling. And you left your jacket hanging on fence row on top of a steep ridge the opposite way of truck while your carrying a 22# bird....... I am out no thanks.
    RANGER BOATS

17. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I have a pkace to hunt thatbis covered up in turkeys. Ill go a couple or 3 times a year.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

18. Member
    I've tried my fair share of times, just can't ever get close to one until deer season so I gave up on it.

Last thanksgiving I counted 47 within 100yds of me while deer hunting
    Screenshot_20170522-071339.jpg
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

19. Member
    Hard to give up the spring bass fishing when you feel the need to kill something. Harvested this guy at 41 yards on the closing weekend of turkey season

Attached Images Attached Images

I used to get excited about spring gobbler season. But after killing several on our property many years in a row, I just got bored with hunting them. They just don't get me fired up the way deer do. Any given morning, there's a flock of birds rooster on the flat above my house. But they all gwtca free pass around here. I'll watch a flock pass by in the fall and not even think of putting an arrow through one. But let a decent buck or big doe come in and it's game on.
    1999 Ranger R91 / Mercury 200 EFI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast