Honda/Tohatsu 150

I am looking at repowering my boat with a Tohatsu 150. After some reading it looks like the Tohatsu 150 is a Honda. Does any one have experience with the Tohatsu and what if any differences are there between it and Honda? I currently have a carb 2 stroke 150 and like the idea of a 4 stroke but still hear that I will loose speed, hole shot etc. As popular as 4 strokes are these days is there any truth to it? Any info would be appreciated.

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I believe the only difference is the color!
    PM sent

3. Member
    Saltwater flats boats/fishermen are big on Tohatsu 4 strokes. They seem to hold up very well in that environment. Microskiff.com, Skifflife.com, Floridasportsman.com might be good to search for some info. Also Pensacola Fishing Forum.

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    In 2014 all Tohatsu from 60 HP and up are Honda's

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/boats...boards-tohatsu

5. Member
    If I pull the cowling off my Tohatsu 150 everything says HONDA. I have one and am presently working through the break-in period, hole-shot and propping issues. I'm very happy with the fuel consumption. More to come as I complete break-in and can open it up abit. Realistically I'm going from a 70 mph boat to a mid 50 mph boat. But the trade offs seem to be worth it. And yes I have posted here saying I have a Honda. I did that hoping to get more info than if I said Tohatsu. Sorry if I mis-lead anyone.

6. Member
    Thanks for the replies everyone. rjd, I am interested in your thoughts after you get yours set up. What hull and motor did you have before the Honda?

7. Member
    To answer K5Guy I have a Nitro 190DC (1994) which had a 1998 Merc 225 EFI. I was running a 6" Jack plate set at 3.5" below pad. Bare bones with just me I hit 70mph with a 4 blade Turbo 25P prop. After rebuilding that motor many times and loosing confidence in it my mechanic found a brand new 2015 Tohatsu 150. I really wanted to go 4 stroke and after he explained to me in 2014 Tohatsu started making Honda's 150 and above I decided to jump on it. After the engine install I filled the tanks with about 75% fuel and headed to the lake. The motor came with a 3 bladed Tohatsu aluminum 14.5x19P prop. I also had a mercury 3 bladed aluminum prop 21P. The 21p never could bite and get me on plane. The 19P gets me on plane but I also added some wedges to the mount. After adjusting the height and running at different RPM's I have come to the conclusion that I won't get anywhere Prop-wise until the break in is done and I start working with the Stainless props. The height setting is still 3.5" below pad and I have moved this .75" in both directions and this is still the sweet spot for my set up with this prop. Numbers with the aluminum 19P prop are 4K rpm (30 mph) with noticeable prop slippage. I took the Tohatsu up to 6200 RPM briefly and I never hit the rev limiter. I honestly feel with a decent Stainless steel prop in 21P I might be in the 50-55 mph range but that's just a guess. After running 4 hrs I still have lots of fuel in the tanks. Tohatsu is quiet and no smoke like my Merc had. I don't fish tournaments anymore so a reliable efficient motor suits me fine.

8. Member
    Thought I'd update this info. My 190DC Nitro with a 150 hp Tohatsu turning a Mercury Tempest 19P (Solid plugs) at 3.25" below pad is hitting 52 mph at 6200rpm. Tanks half full - one guy-all the rods and tackle I normally use. I have installed a Chris Bailey foil and hole shot is acceptable. I can stay on plan with this foil down to 16-18mph. If any of you are having hole shot concerns I'd rec. the foil Chris Bailey makes. Major bling factor. He's on this site and many folks are running his foils. It's a 4 stroke so comparing it to a 2 stroke is really unfair. No smoke, Easy on the gas, and I'm feeling comfortable with it as far as reliability and performance. I fish smaller bodies of water so cruising at 35-45mph is alright by me. I hope this info is helpful to anyone thinking of doing what I did (downsizing and going from 2 stroke to 4 stroke). Thanks again for your interest
    Last edited by rjd; 06-26-2017 at 11:06 PM. Reason: add info

9. Member
    I forgot to add I'm still rinning a 6" manual jack plate as well.