Carry xtra PP compression fittings for an emergency!!!

I was pre fishing for a trny. Water was rough, 25 mph wind and 2-4 foot chop. Similar to the way it was with in the recent pics of Chris Lane with his poles partially down. Was getting some pole slap and heard a nice loud one after coming pretty much all the way out of the water and landing pretty hard. Turn around and one pole was in the water.

Managed to get out of the wind in a protected shallow area to assess the situation. The compression fitting at the pump had failed. I managed to get it back together with the old fitting but just barely. Got the pole back up and banded the pole so I could make it back to the ramp. Had to disable that pole(pulled the pump fuse) and only use one pole for the trny. When you have 2 poles then lose one, you really know why 2 poles is the best way to go.

If you do not already, I recommend carrying extra compression fittings, a 9/16 wrench or small crescent, and bottle of fluid so you don't don't have to deal with what I did.

I think there needs to be some type of secondary latch that will help lock the poles when you have them in the full up position. I have an idea for it, maybe PP would be up to an engineering change/idea I have from an old system I helped design.

Anyway hope this info will save somebody some grief in the future.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    No enginerring change needed, as new poles have eliminated compression fittings with real hydraulic hoses and cripped on hydraulic fittings. Compression fitting failure was very uncommen anyway.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    No enginerring change needed, as new poles have eliminated compression fittings with real hydraulic hoses and crimped on hydraulic fittings. Compression fitting failure was very uncommen anyway.

4. Member
    For the record I am in no way bashing Power Pole or their design. I love having twin 10 footers on my boat. When a failure occurs on the water it just plain sucks!!

As well, for the record, the current 2016 lines are real hydro lines they just use compression fittings like 100's of other hydro applications. Im not implying, by any means, that this is a bad engineering design. Yea I know the 2017's have the hoses with factory made connections, but there is always a chance for line or fitting blow out regardless. This also locks you into specific length lines that can be limiting on routing options. There is no such thing as one size fits all boats. Dont get me wrong, I really like the idea of factory made lines and connections, they always tend to be much stronger. The change idea I have would minimize wear and tear on the bushings and other pivot points and well as would prevent a blow out from back pressure while running in the chop. As a working engineer, I know that ideas are always great on paper but implementation is whole story. Maybe my idea would work, maybe it will not. I have seen it work in a system I helped design, but like I said implementation is different animal.