Banned

Minn Kota Edge reviews

Thinking about getting an Edge , get rid of my Minn Kota Power Drive . Would like some feed back regarding the Edge ,good & bad . Thanks

2. Member
    Better off with a Maxxum. The 5-speed wheel will drive you crazy. You'll never get the right speed. Either too fast or too slow. And the Edge doesn't have the battery saving "Pulse Technology" feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydbee View Post
    Better off with a Maxxum. The 5-speed wheel will drive you crazy. You'll never get the right speed. Either too fast or too slow. And the Edge doesn't have the battery saving "Pulse Technology" feature.
    This

I had a Maxxum with vari- speed on my War Eagle and it was a great motor. It is better than the Edge since it had he vari- speed but with a five speed an Edge will be almost like the Maxxum.
    I was told both Edge and Maxxum have the same motor not sure if that's true. As for the Edge I have one my small tin now. Its a very good motor but the brackets bolts back out allot and I have to carry an allen wrench to tighten them.
    Besides that its a strong and quiet motor. As for the speeds 1 and 2 are worthless for me, 3 is a good speed to flip and pitch or go down a bank, four is a good casting speed, five is sit down and move across a cove or use on No motor lakes. The five speeds are easy to get used to and no big deal for me. Besides the bracket bolt issues I love the Edge. Is it as good as the Maxxum? No, but it saved me money and performs well.
    14' Alumacraft Green machine.
    24v.70# Minn Kota (bow)
    24V. 75# Motorguide (tiller)
    Non green- 9.9 merc

5. Member
    I have the 24V 70# Edge on my Tracker 175 TXW (don't know anything about the Maxxum). I have no issues with its 5-speed or its power. The only issue arose when I wanted to upgrade my bow sonar. The edge's prop and skeg are on opposite ends of the motor making it difficult (impossible?) to mount Lowrance side scanning transducers. I settled on the Lowrance HDI so I could at least get downscan+2d sonar. That aside, I am vey satisfied with the Edge.

Quote Originally Posted by xekester View Post
    I have the 24V 70# Edge on my Tracker 175 TXW (don't know anything about the Maxxum). I have no issues with its 5-speed or its power. The only issue arose when I wanted to upgrade my bow sonar. The edge's prop and skeg are on opposite ends of the motor making it difficult (impossible?) to mount Lowrance side scanning transducers. I settled on the Lowrance HDI so I could at least get downscan+2d sonar. That aside, I am vey satisfied with the Edge.
    Any issues with the two bolts that hold the bracket to the base? Mine back out every other trip.
    24v.70# Minn Kota (bow)
    Non green- 9.9 merc

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbully 51 View Post
    Any issues with the two bolts that hold the bracket to the base? Mine back out every other trip.
    No issues with the bolts - 2 years of heavy use.

Xekester

Quote Originally Posted by xekester View Post
    No issues with the bolts - 2 years of heavy use.

Xekester
    24v.70# Minn Kota (bow)
    Non green- 9.9 merc