Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ATTENTION RANGER!!!

If you would do this to the front compartments on the 198P it would put it over the top! This is Lund's advanced water control system. Ranger, if you're listening, PLEASE add this to the 2018 models. Everyone around here probably knows by now that this is the only thing keeping me from buying a tin, and it seems like alot of guys feel the same way. A bonus would be making the coin box dry also, but I can live without that.

I wonder if Ranger could add it as a custom order?

2. Member
    I guess I'm missing something. My RT188 has lips around the openings of the front compartments with the addition of rubber weather stripping that I don't see on the Lund. Is the 198P different?
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

3. Banned
    Never had an issue with my Triton either, but I park it inside. The back compartment leaks through the latch real bad though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    I guess I'm missing something. My RT188 has lips around the openings of the front compartments with the addition of rubber weather stripping that I don't see on the Lund. Is the 198P different?
    The weather stripping leaks..... I'm not worried about it being stored in the rain, I'm want dry storage for fishing in the rain.

The Ranger RT188 has a raised lip with gasket around each opening that seals off against the underside of the lid. Also note that there are no permanent mounted carpet strips between the lids. This allows water to channel off the deck quickly and not dam and pool up. Mine has never leaked. Looks like Lund also does not have permanent carpet strips between the lids. Also looks like they took the opposite approach covering the entire bottom of the lid with a gasket material. While I like the finished look, I would not give up the Ranger's lid stiffening brace for it. If you want to duplicate the Lund, some thin sheets of closed cell foam cut to fit the inside of the lids with cutouts to fit around the bracing and you are there.

Last edited by Skeeterbait; 05-12-2017 at 07:47 AM.

6. Member
    I have been in some ridiculous all day downpours with my rt188 and front compartments and under seat storage has always been bone dry. So idk.

What is missing here is that the side walls of the compartments in the Lund is the outside wall of the hull. The deck is not welded solidly all around. It is space welded. So water can run to the edge of the deck. Then down inside the compartments. Skeeterbaits pic looks to have a tub in the lock (not side wall of hull). So it should be dryer. The only true dry storage is one with independent tubs. That are not part of the hull. But finding that boat in the tin world is next to impossible.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

8. Banned
    Ranger and Triton are metal tubs under the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by mrc.in.wi View Post
    Ranger and Triton are metal tubs under the deck.
    well that's a huge plus. Why are people having water in them issues. Is the under seat storage not a tub type?

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    well that's a huge plus. Why are people having water in them issues. Is the under seat storage not a tub type?
    Under seat is not a tub. The box is just screwed to the floor.

So there is still a box? And not use of the hull walls and back bulkhead by the livewell. With the seat pan in front. A actual box. I have to take another look at my friends rt178. Because I do know it has a lip around the top. When you pick the seat up.

Custom built in tin world is about the only way to get true dry storage. IMHO
    With your input on how it's built.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

12. Member
    This is monthly topic. To cut to the chase... Most of the folks who have problems with RTs getting water in their compartments don't have them. Those that store outside uncovered accumulate water over time. Fish in a torrential down pour, wet boat / underseat compartments. Light rain, no issues. Store inside or cover the boat, no issues.

By the way, love the photo of the Lund. Looks like you could store my boat in one of those compartments (and as a plus I'd not have to worry about it getting wet).

Dave
    Last edited by dwardmba; 05-13-2017 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Add the Lund compliment.
    2015 RT178 - 75HP Mercury Four Stroke

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    So there is still a box? And not use of the hull walls and back bulkhead by the livewell. With the seat pan in front. A actual box. I have to take another look at my friends rt178. Because I do know it has a lip around the top. When you pick the seat up.

Custom built in tin world is about the only way to get true dry storage. IMHO
    With your input on how it's built.
    I'm not to sure that the seat box can stay totally dry . It is lipped but the lid is split with the driver seat on one and the passenger and middle seat on the other with a cross support beam on the box where the lids split . I can't remember what kind of seal is on the cross member . My boat is at my camp . The worst I've been in since having this boat is a light 5 minute drizzle so all of my compartments are totally dry .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

14. Member
    The Ranger under the seat box is in fact a standalone box and is sealed on the bottom. It is screwed down to the floor. Water on the boat's floor can't get into it.
    The seat box also has a lip around both openings on top to prevent water from flowing into it.
    If you are getting water in you under the seat storage on a Ranger RT188... you are trying VERY hard.
    Last edited by Bosh; 05-17-2017 at 11:05 AM.
    Ranger RT188 (2015)
    Mercury Optimax ProXS 115, 4" Setback Plate
    Minn Kota PowerDrive V2 iPilot 70lb
    Garmin 73SV @ Helm, 93SV Chirp @ Bow

After looking at my friends 178. I don't see how water would get in, on a nuisance situation.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Here's a 198P
    Attached Images Attached Images

2015 Ranger Z119c / 2015 Merc 225 Pro X​S

The 198P does not have lips, it only has weather stripping. Water can get between the weather stripping and hull.
    Last edited by NiteBite6855; 05-18-2017 at 05:54 AM.

18. Banned
    Some of you guys must fish in monsoons.

Quote Originally Posted by mrc.in.wi View Post
    Some of you guys must fish in monsoons.
    I have before.....It felt like it anyway!

20. Member
    Boats are only made to get wet on tha bottom, not on
    tha top. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast