Thread: End of an era

End of an era

This is not a sale thread.

After a little over 14 years, I have decided to buy a tin boat and get rid of my Blazer. I ruptured my bicep tendon and had surgery. While I recuperated, my boat sat in the garage. Now, my carbureted Merc 150 isn't starting (probably needs carb cleaning), I found my floor around the drain is getting soft. According to the internet, my boat, motor and trailer in good, running shape is worth about $5,000. I really don't want to spend money to fix the issues just to sell it. How can I come up with a reasonable price? Is there a chance I can sell it in non-running condition?

Being a higher perf boat youll have a better chance selling it in that condition than other more mainstream brands. May not make sense to you but i know what im trying to say i think.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerFAN View Post
    How can I come up with a reasonable price? Is there a chance I can sell it in non-running condition?
    If you have the skills to fix the defects or consult someone that does, a $ amount can be assessed off an otherwise normally reasonable market price. Looking up a value from a reference isn't very useful as boats get older. All markets are "local" and vary greatly. When I've sold past boats, I price what I feel is reasonable from both a seller and buyer perspective. Works for me. Last boat had a few issues and the guy that bought it didn't haggle a lick - which I don't like anyways and has NEVER worked out for anyone trying to do so with me. It got him a lot of extras that I didn't have to throw in (2 sonars, a chartplotter, extra carpet from last time I carpeted it, map software for the plotter). I could have sold most that piece-meal.

I understand wanting to have the best nest egg towards the next boat but honest pricing just helps things move along. Somebody that has the skills will jump on a reasonable deal. My boat was sold in 2 days and he lived 80 miles away. His grand dad also happened to be a retired marina owner that he consulted with on a couple questions so he obviously felt quite comfortable. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Consider that these issues may lower your sale price by more than what it would cost you to fix them. You're basically trying to sell a boat with a motor that won't run. That screams 'buyer beware' to me. If all that is needed is a carb cleaning that might only cost a few hundred bucks but as-is it might lower the sale prices by a thousand. That's why people freshen up stuff like paint and carpet when selling a house.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow