Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AGM battery problem on new boat

Anyone else experiencing problems with their AGM cranking battery (Interstate 31M-AGM 800 CCA) not holding a charge? I have a 2015 Ranger with a G2 and a 4 bank Dual Pro charger I keep plugged in when the boat's not in use. I have had persistent problems holding a charge. When the boat was about 9 months old, it died after a half day, then only lasted for a couple of hours. The dealer replaced the battery then when it was a year old. Here it is at the two year mark, 1 year on the new battery, and deja vu, it's not holding a charge. Dealer seems reluctant to replace it again. Man, it's ruined dozens of trips, not to mention the inconvenience of it all.
    I've done some internet research and am discovering guys with similar problems, mostly with older outboards. Boat came configured this way from Ranger when it was new.

There is some battery charges that can not charge an AGM battery. I would find the model number of my battery charger and contact the manufacturer and ask if the charger will charge an AGM battery.

3. Member
    I don't think that AGM compatibility will be the issue. I believe that Ranger puts Dual Pro PS series chargers in their boats, and they have Delta Volt technology which is fully capable of charging an AGM. There are numerous possibilities for the problem. Best thing to do would be to post this over in the ELECTRICAL/TROLLING MOTORS forum and let the experts over there guide you.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    Might have something pulling your battery down. It's hard to trace if that's what's happening. Might try turning brakers off or even disconnecting battery after charging it. Then after a few outing if your still having same problem then it battery or charger if not then you will know something else is draining battery. A good AGM battery will cost you around $300. Those $189 battery won't get it.

5. Member
    Thanks for the ideas guys. Dealer checked the whole electrical system out and say their "special $500 charger" shows everything is ok. Service guy says he's seen this problem before with AGM/outboard engines but this charger should fix it.

I'll re/post this over on ELECTRICAL/TROLLING MOTORS

Your problem is Interstate batteries, get rid of them and get Trojan, X2, Life Line, Odyssey or some other AGM that has a good track record.You should get at least 6 or 7 years of trouble free service and your Dual-Pro is the best especially if it is 15amp per bank.

7. Member
    I had very similar issues with an Odyssey battery. Completely turned me off from AGM batteries.

I have had real good luck with Interstate batteries on the TM, but not cranking battery. My last two boats came with Interstate batteries. TM batteries lasted 5-6 years. I can only get 2 yrs out of the cranking battery on both boats.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7 View Post
    I had very similar issues with an Odyssey battery. Completely turned me off from AGM batteries.
    One of the best batteries around. Most of the issues with them are the result of not using the correct charger.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

On my 2016 Ranger that came with 4 Interstate AGM batteries the starting battery would not last all day running graphs and live wells without having to jump the batteries in order to start the boat. I took the battery to Interstate and they tested it and kept it for 3 days and told me it was perfectly in spec. I replaced it with a Northstar 31 Marine AGM battery and that was the end of my problems. So far the 3 trolling motor batteries have worked fine. If I had known when I ordered my boat with the factory installed AGM batteries that they would be Interstate based on past experience I would not have ordered them. Larry Brumley

Quote Originally Posted by Tailhooker View Post
    Anyone else experiencing problems with their AGM cranking battery (Interstate 31M-AGM 800 CCA) not holding a charge? I have a 2015 Ranger with a G2 and a 4 bank Dual Pro charger I keep plugged in when the boat's not in use. I have had persistent problems holding a charge. When the boat was about 9 months old, it died after a half day, then only lasted for a couple of hours. The dealer replaced the battery then when it was a year old. Here it is at the two year mark, 1 year on the new battery, and deja vu, it's not holding a charge. Dealer seems reluctant to replace it again. Man, it's ruined dozens of trips, not to mention the inconvenience of it all.
    I've done some internet research and am discovering guys with similar problems, mostly with older outboards. Boat came configured this way from Ranger when it was new.
    Same battery in mine...same delta volt charger...same everything, less than a year and a half old..that battery Just doesnt cut it in these boats with multiple graphs/poles etc...but Ive been babying it along. Practice days, no problem, its fine. Turn on the pumps in timer mode early in the day(dont even think about fulltime) That battery is weak by 1:30PM. Actually died on me in the first six months when I ran the pumps full time in a hot June tournament with around 17lbs in the wells. Been meaning to replace it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

And its not AGM batteries that are the problem...I ran a diehard PM-1 in my previous Ranger charged with a minn kota 460PC amd you couldn't make that thing die! That boat had HDS12/9's and dual poles as well.

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    One of the best batteries around. Most of the issues with them are the result of not using the correct charger.
    Most AGM batteries say to use a charger that is compatible with charging and AGM battery. From what I have been told Odyssey actually specifies an specific charger for their group 31 AGM battery. If someone is getting a shorten life out of an AGM battery it's more than likely not the battery's fault. Its probably a battery charger thats not capable of charging the particular AGM battery and this shortens the battery life. It easier to just say it was a bad battery and not improper charging.

Delta Volt Dual pros are good enough for Odyssey...Common sense tells me they should be acceptable for Interstate.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...V_chargers.pdf

Why do some people refuse to acknowledge there are quality differences in batteries?

I highly doubt its the OP's charger.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Delta Volt Dual pros are good enough for Odyssey...Common sense tells me they should be acceptable for Interstate.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...V_chargers.pdf

Why do some people refuse to acknowledge there are quality differences in batteries?

I highly doubt its the OP's charger.
    ^^^^^^^^^ Right on Dean .

If I ever went AGM for cranking, the Northstar/X2 would be at the very top of my list. Odyssey would be right behind it. And I would upgrade my charger to a Dual Pro, Professional Series, with 15 amps/bank.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z518 Comanche View Post
    I have had real good luck with Interstate batteries on the TM, but not cranking battery. My last two boats came with Interstate batteries. TM batteries lasted 5-6 years. I can only get 2 yrs out of the cranking battery on both boats.
    ^^^
    Same with 2 new boats.

You got an external antennae for your GPS? Possible it's on your NEMA network and they powered the network through a switch that you aren't turning off at the end of the day????? Mine is powered through my main on/off switch on the console...but I've seen them wired differently. The network will drain your battery over time if not switched off. But, if you are hooked to your charger....I'd think the charger would keep up the power the network is using.

Sounds like his issue only cropped up after the batteries had some age on them so I'd guess that its not a phantom power drain. If that was the case, he would have had an issue from day 1 of the second battery. But sounds like it worked OK for about a year. At this point, I think we can assume the battery is a lost cause. Perhaps it is of poor quality or maybe it is the charger. I thought that chargers had a setting for AGM batteries since their needs are different than flooded batteries. If so, maybe a call to the manufacturer would shed some light on the situation.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

18. Member
    I had the Interstate 31 AGM and had similar issues. Same for two of my buddies as well. I had the battery replaced once then after the second had issues I got my money back. Got an X2 and everything is great now.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmanucr View Post
    I had the Interstate 31 AGM and had similar issues. Same for two of my buddies as well. I had the battery replaced once then after the second had issues I got my money back. Got an X2 and everything is great now.
    Just curious...what did that Interstate 31 cost...mine came in the boat so I dont know what it cost.

Im sure that interstate is a decent battery for the money, but it just cant handle 3 graphs, 2 poles, pumps, and a 250 Optimax. Ill be looking at an X2 or an Odessy here shortly. Probably move the interstate over to one of the troller positions.

20. Member
    I paid $339 pre-tax.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast