Thread: Which Alx rod?

Which Alx rod?

I'm thinking about purchasing one of these rods in a med heavy or heavy action. It will mainly be used as a t-rig/jig rod, but possibly for other things as well that require a lot of feel.Looking at the Zolo deputy, toadface, and the the Enox arrcus. Which do you feel is more sensitive and what do you use it for? Any input would be appreciated from anyone who owns or has experience with one or more of these rods.

I would contact Cigrad (Alex) directly, he is the owner of ALX and always willing to help. Plus he obviously know his rods inside and out.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_whisperer View Post
    I'm thinking about purchasing one of these rods in a med heavy or heavy action. It will mainly be used as a t-rig/jig rod, but possibly for other things as well that require a lot of feel.Looking at the Zolo deputy, toadface, and the the Enox arrcus. Which do you feel is more sensitive and what do you use it for? Any input would be appreciated from anyone who owns or has experience with one or more of these rods.
    You are keyed in on the right models for what you are doing. The ZOLO Dragger is also a great jig rod , but I'd step down to the Deputy or Toadface if you are throwing a TRig as well. Personally I am loving the ENOX for feel techniques, but the ZOLO has such a huge following and track record you can't say it isn't an incredible rod. The ENOX action is a little faster and flexes a little more in the tip. The ZOLOs are going to be a little slower and really load up in the meat of the blank once you have a fish on. Be glad to get into more specifics. Hit me with a message or call the shop at 866.628.5052 if you want to talk thru the models.

4. Member
    I haven't fished the ENOX series yet (hoping Alex would send me one to try out and review lol) but I have many of Zolos. They are all phenomenal in their each respective wheelhouse. For what you are wanting I would go with the Deputy. My Deputy is primarily my 3/8 oz jig and trig rod and shines at that. I have been lazy lately and also using it to throw chatterbaits and have decided it really shines here as well. You could always get Alex to build you one as well.

5. Member
    I bought a Deputy and liked it so much I bought a Toadface.

I use the Deputy for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, and Texas Rigs and jigs up to 3/8.
    I use the Toadface for frogs, toads, swim jigs (this rods strength IMO), and lightweight "finesse" pitching up to about 3/8 ounce.

I haven't used the ENOX yet, I have 2 deputies and 2 toadface and a dragger on the way. I would lean towards the toad face for jigs and trigs but both will do well. I use my deputy mainly for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and texas rigs usually with 1/4 or 3/8 weights. I like my toadface for trigs and jigs mainly in the 1/4 and 3/8 size and for most of my pitching. Both of these rods are very sensitive.

Got a email other day from ALEX Rods, but got me wondering if they come color choices??? pic on it was black rod, blue lettering ones.. i'd like burgundy,Red,Black mix on 1 rod , or solid color choices..gotta match the Boat Colors pic is off the email rather Purty huh? Wish they'd make Pistol Grip handles tho'... easier on Arthritic Hands

Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    Got a email other day from ALEX Rods, but got me wondering if they come color choices??? pic on it was black rod, blue lettering ones.. i'd like burgundy,Red,Black mix on 1 rod , or solid color choices..gotta match the Boat Colors pic is off the email rather Purty huh? Wish they'd make Pistol Grip handles tho'... easier on Arthritic Hands
    Our custom shop can build anything you want. It's it basically a stock build just changing colors, it's pretty much just waiting on it to be built as the price is usually the same. Can put a pistol grip on anything you want as well. We had a pistol split grip built the other day... that was interesting. Gave the pistol grip handle, but longer butt hanging off back for two handed casts.

9. Member
    Picked up the Zolo dragger and fished a crig for the first time today. The rod is incredibly light and we'll balanced. Handled the fish perfectly and casted a country mile. This is my first Alx rod and will be looking to replace some of the dobyns I own...

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishntime36 View Post
    Picked up the Zolo dragger and fished a crig for the first time today. The rod is incredibly light and we'll balanced. Handled the fish perfectly and casted a country mile. This is my first Alx rod and will be looking to replace some of the dobyns I own...
    the dragger is impressive I like mine

11. Member
    Can ALX rods be ordered with a full grip?

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Can ALX rods be ordered with a full grip?
    Yes. Cork, eva, carbon are all available.contact us M-F 8 to 5 EST at 866-628-5052.

I have about 5 or 6 . Man they are sweet rods. Will be adding more to my collection in the future. Told a buddy about them and he bought one , he was a big Dobyn's guy . He tried to buy my ALX 'S .. lol

Which one of the IKOS series would be a good lipless rod , throwing 1/2 oz and 3/4 oz ripping grass ? Thanks in advanced.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD. View Post
    Which one of the IKOS series would be a good lipless rod , throwing 1/2 oz and 3/4 oz ripping grass ? Thanks in advanced.
    I would go with the 7'3" MH Promise. It's a jack of all trades rod.

16. Banned
    Tested out my new dragger over the weekend, great rod

17. Member
    I picked up a Toad face a while back on BBC to play with, and liked it so much picked up a dragger from TW sale played with it pre fishing Saturday, and its awesome, now i just need me a Deputy

18. Member
    Love my Toadface and Brawler.
    Mike

2019 Alweld 1960jc vv
    2014 Mercury 250 ProXS with Jet - Ser.no 1B827207
    Smartcraft Mercmonitor

2015 Alweld 1856jc flat OLD