Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Map version displayed at power-up is the internal version (which is what prompted my ?)
    But, when I go into settings, the supplemental card shows the new map version.
    My unit requires the sd card for map version updates.

Tx2va07 - I just leave the sd card in and that seems to work.

Thanks for the replies -
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

2. Member
    Just tried to 2017.01 wouldnt recognise update i have to leave card in for it to work also.systm informatoin shows 2017.01 take card out it goes back to old version.(93svs)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lee View Post
    Just tried to 2017.01 wouldnt recognise update i have to leave card in for it to work also.systm informatoin shows 2017.01 take card out it goes back to old version.(93svs)
    Assuming you have a 2015 or 2016 echoMAP, the 2017 preloaded mapping update is too large to fit in the echoMAP memory. You will have to keep the mapping card in the unit to view 2017 mapping, as well as any future mapping updates. The new echoMAPs coming out of the factory after May 3 will already include the 2017 preloaded mapping, and will have enough internal memory to allow for the preloaded mapping update in 2018 and beyond.
    Garmin Pro Team

4. Member
    thanks Todd

5. Member
    A few notes on the new maps and Express and "free" up-dates.

1) There is a new version of Express available for download. It says it has "critical up-dates" so download the new version before you try up-dating any maps.

2) Even with the new version, Express still doesnt work for many, maybe most, people, so dont be surprised if you have to call support.

3) If Express shows the wrong version or the wrong price or wont download your map - call support. They can:
    ....3a) "Push" a copy of the map to your account through Express so you can download the correct one.
    ....3b) If that fails, they can send you an sd card in the mail so you can do the up-date.
    ....3c) There is a very good chance they will send you the WRONG sd card and you will have to call again. They have a bad habit of sending accessory cards to people (an accessory card must stay in the sd card slot full time) instead of UP_DATE cards. An up-date card will actually up-date the internal maps and leave your sd card slot free.

Refer back to Todds earlier posts about which units can or cannot actually up-date to the new 2017 map format.

Maybe Todd will re-post the list of models that work and dont work with the new maps so this info is all in one place?

I will talk about free up-dates in the next post....
    Last edited by Larry3215; 05-28-2017 at 10:44 AM.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

6. Member

Getting a "FREE" map up-date to your internal maps

Many people dont know or may not remember - including Garmin support - that it was IMPOSSIBLE to donwload any up-dates for internal maps for all of last year and a portion of 2015 up through at least 10 May 2017.

From late 2015 and all through most of 2016, Garmin had server/download issues as far as maps, and the downloads just failed - all the time, for everyone. Then they came out with Express and that didnt work either.

They tried sending out sd cards with the "up-dates" on them to people who asked, but in every single case I heard about, they sent the "Accessory map" instead of an actual up-date map. That meant that you had to leave the sd card in the slot full time and your internal maps did not get up-dated.

Then earlier this year they announced that there would be NO internal map up-dates available at all until 10 May when the 2017 internal map up-dates would finally be available.

So, if your "FREE" one year map up-date came due any time in 2016 and all through 10 May 2017, Garmin owes you a free up-date because - due to Garmins problems - they made it impossible to get one until now.

However - support doesnt seem to see it that way, so you are probably going to have to argue with them and push to get the free up-date they owe you.

My one year free up-date technically expired in January of this year. Support told me at the time that they would make a note on my account so I could get a free up-date once they were actually available. When I called last week, there was no note. They finally did "push" the free up-date to my Express account and I was able to get it installed successfully.

Good luck.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12