Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Not enough memory for built in map ugrade?

I downloaded the 2017 map upgrade for my 93sv's that I bought at the first of the year. When I went to install them it read the maps, told me it would take a while, and when I hit yes it said there wasn't enough memory to do the built in map upgrades. I just upgraded from 3.8 to 4.1 a few days ago. Should I factory reset, upgrade the maps then upgrade the software or does anyone have another idea? It's a minor inconvenience but I'd sure like to have maps on the navigation chart.

2. Member
    If it's like the 73sv, then you will have to keep the chip in the unit to use the 2017 charts, not enough internal memory. :(

Yes, DTro has it right. Here is the info I have posted on several other threads:

Note that for 2015-2016 echoMAP units preloaded with LakeVu HD, this 2017 preloaded mapping update is too large to fit in the echoMAP memory. Users will have to keep the mapping card in the unit to view 2017 mapping, as well as any future mapping updates.

The new echoMAPs coming out of the factory after May 3 will already include the 2017 preloaded mapping, and will have enough internal memory to allow for the preloaded mapping update in 2018 and beyond.
    Garmin Pro Team

Well that's a bummer. Thanks guys, at least I know it isn't me.

I guess now the question is can I copy and paste this update to all 3 SD cards I have? My 73sv and 93sv chirp were purchased in Dec, and another 93sv chirp was purchased in jan

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Yes, DTro has it right. Here is the info I have posted on several other threads:

Note that for 2015-2016 echoMAP units preloaded with LakeVu HD, this 2017 preloaded mapping update is too large to fit in the echoMAP memory. Users will have to keep the mapping card in the unit to view 2017 mapping, as well as any future mapping updates.

The new echoMAPs coming out of the factory after May 3 will already include the 2017 preloaded mapping, and will have enough internal memory to allow for the preloaded mapping update in 2018 and beyond.
    I guess I'm screwed. My 73sv doesn't have enough memory for the 2017 map update so I have to keep the card install in the only slot available. Why did I buy the LakeVu HD Ultra?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted-LA View Post
    I guess I'm screwed. My 73sv doesn't have enough memory for the 2017 map update so I have to keep the card install in the only slot available. Why did I buy the LakeVu HD Ultra?
    The LakeVu HD Ultra card has every bit of info that the preloaded LakeVu mapping has, plus more features. So simply run the Ultra card.
    Garmin Pro Team

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    The LakeVu HD Ultra card has every bit of info that the preloaded LakeVu mapping has, plus more features. So simply run the Ultra card.
    So update the Ultra card and then the 4.10 software update, then I'll get the new features, fishing map, etc?

9. Member
    One other concern. I often fish a reservoir (Grand Bayou out of Coushatta) that Garmin has no map of. When I'm on the lake my navigation chart says I'm on dry land. So I'm doing my own Quick Contour map on a blank card. If I do the 4.10 update and use my Quick Contour card, will that cause any problems, lack of features that I had before the update?

So update the Ultra card and then the 4.10 software update, then I'll get the new features, fishing map, etc?
    Exactly. I would simply get the 2017 version of the Ultra card.
    Garmin Pro Team

One other concern. I often fish a reservoir (Grand Bayou out of Coushatta) that Garmin has no map of. When I'm on the lake my navigation chart says I'm on dry land. So I'm doing my own Quick Contour map on a blank card. If I do the 4.10 update and use my Quick Contour card, will that cause any problems, lack of features that I had before the update?
    No problems at all with QuickDraw and 4.10. Also know that you can directly record QuickDraw to your Ultra card. Certainly nothing wrong with recording to a blank card either.
    Garmin Pro Team

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KSPropbender View Post
    I guess now the question is can I copy and paste this update to all 3 SD cards I have? My 73sv and 93sv chirp were purchased in Dec, and another 93sv chirp was purchased in jan
    My 73sv (non Chirp) doesn't have enough memory to load the update but I updated the Ultra card as Todd said and I'll keep it in the slot. My 73 cv Chirp allowed the 2017 map update to load into the memory so I don't need to run the 2017 map from the card. I assume you can load the map update on more than one card because the map update is still available in my Garmin Express menu to download.

13. Member
    Does anyone know of something in particular I could look at that wasn't there previously, that is now there in the 2017 maps? I updated them to my SD card, but would like to know if the unit is actually using the updated mapping since I'm not copying it into the unit's memory. Thanks.

14. Member
    So for those of us who have to use a card to run current map version in our only card slot, we are not able to take any screen shots for review later? If so, That sucks. What idiot engineer didn't leave enough memory for updating. Garmin should allow us some type of trade in program or they'll end up losing a huge batch of current customers for any future business plus infinite amounts of bashing from us. I feel like with all this crap, we are just a bunch of guinea pigs.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2va07 View Post
    Does anyone know of something in particular I could look at that wasn't there previously, that is now there in the 2017 maps? I updated them to my SD card, but would like to know if the unit is actually using the updated mapping since I'm not copying it into the unit's memory. Thanks.

go into your setting , then system and the software and it will tell you what version you are running.

Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    So for those of us who have to use a card to run current map version in our only card slot, we are not able to take any screen shots for review later? If so, That sucks. What idiot engineer didn't leave enough memory for updating. Garmin should allow us some type of trade in program or they'll end up losing a huge batch of current customers for any future business plus infinite amounts of bashing from us. I feel like with all this crap, we are just a bunch of guinea pigs.
    You can save your screenshots, QuickDraw recordings, etc., directly to that map update card.
    Garmin Pro Team

Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    barbarian,
    The US map size nearly doubled from 2016 to 2017, so that's probably why the internal flash memory is not large enough on older units. Though not optimal, using an SD card for the maps, quickdraw and screen shots is not a huge deal for me. I put in a $10 32G SD card and have tons of space to store quickdraw and screenshots. Garmin probably made a conscious decision to make make map enhancements even though it caused the map to need to be kept on the SD card rather then not make the map enhancements. I think they made the right decision and would definitely not bash them for it.

18. Banned
    It's happened before with my garmin car gps units as well. Luckily they accept an additional micro sd card

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coachallen View Post
    go into your setting , then system and the software and it will tell you what version you are running.
    At boot up, screen displays software version, then built-in map version (which for me is version 2015-2016).
    When looking at system info, it displays software version, built-in map version, supplemental map card version (2017 version upgrade).
    But, how do I know that charting is using the supplemental map card (was not smart enough to check my lake pre-upgrade ) ?
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

Quote Originally Posted by RangerRic View Post
    At boot up, screen displays software version, then built-in map version (which for me is version 2015-2016).
    When looking at system info, it displays software version, built-in map version, supplemental map card version (2017 version upgrade).
    But, how do I know that charting is using the supplemental map card (was not smart enough to check my lake pre-upgrade ) ?
    Look at the lakes with and without the SD card installed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast