Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Thanks ...
    The ones I looked at were unchanged - guess I will try a couple more, but,
    was hoping for another way. Must be a list of lakes changed between
    those versions - will check Garmin site.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

I bought two brand new units (EchoMap 93sv) last week and mine have the same problem.
    So the statement about units after May not having the problem is questionable. And since mine aren't networked, I guess I get to buy two Ultra cards.
    You can believe customer support is getting a phone call on Monday...
    Mike
    ---------------------------
    If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit

3. Member
    You got some older units that had been sitting on the shelf for a while. Contact who ever you bought them from.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    You got some older units that had been sitting on the shelf for a while. Contact who ever you bought them from.
    Larry, thanks for all the information! I'm wondering if theres a way to tell the date of manufacture of our units?

Poor planning. They should do their maps in sections of the USA and let people buy what they want instead of one map of the entire USA. In other words, they should take a clue from the Lakemaster maps from Humminbird and most other map manufacturers.
    Last edited by Randall53; 07-18-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mbartles View Post
    I bought two brand new units (EchoMap 93sv) last week and mine have the same problem.
    So the statement about units after May not having the problem is questionable. And since mine aren't networked, I guess I get to buy two Ultra cards.
    I'd suggest you go to the Garmin website and make sure the lake you fish is included in the Ultra maps. I bought a new 93sv and ultra card last week and my lake wasn't on the Maxdef list and it's in the top 20 bass lakes in the country and has been for 3 or 4 years. My unit won't update the onboard map either.
    Last edited by Randall53; 07-18-2017 at 03:57 PM.

7. Member
    Luckily This is where Quickdraw comes in... Quickdraw is a lifesaver on the lakes where Im at.. I just mapped a whole lake the other day...

Quote Originally Posted by msn26753 View Post
    Luckily This is where Quickdraw comes in... Quickdraw is a lifesaver on the lakes where Im at.. I just mapped a whole lake the other day...
    I"ve been wondering about Quickdraw. How was the quality and how much of an SD card did it take up?

Quote Originally Posted by mbartles View Post
    Yes I had mine less than a week and it shipped with the CV transducer so it should be a fresh unit. It won't take the upgraded map either.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall53 View Post
    Larry, thanks for all the information! I'm wondering if theres a way to tell the date of manufacture of our units?
    Dont know, but Id guess the serial number would be the clue. You probably have to call customer support to find out.

11. Member
    I"ve been wondering about Quickdraw. How was the quality and how much of an SD card did it take up?
    You will have trouble filling up 1 gig of space. I have maybe 8 hours of QD and its like 20 mb. I forget exactly, but someone said you could map all the way around the equator and only use like 1 gig.

12. Member
    I think QD works pretty well. The more you go over an area the better the details get and any sudden high spots or low spots seem to need to be gone over real slowly and circled or it draws the more consistent depth across the entire area instead. For example, in 20 ft of water but a 10 ft diameter rock pile comes to 5 ft at the top. if you just cruise over it the drawing will show the 20 ft almost continuously. Go back over the rock pile in several directions and very slowly and it will draw it more accurately. just marking a waypoint is much faster.
    Between QD and panoptix I have caught a ton of fish on small local lakes where many people fishing the obvious stuff hardly get a bite.

My units were ordered direct from Garmin and were shipped from their local facility in Overland Park, KS.
    The response I got was that if the units are fully functional, basically you have what you ordered and nothing will be done. Since the map updates can be read from the card, and upgrades like the Ultra maps have to be read from the card, there is nothing they will do about it.
    Mike
    ---------------------------
    If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit

14. Member
    Well that sucks. Obviously, Garmin still has old stock on the shelves.

Its kind of a mystery to me how Garmin support can be so great sometimes and completely suck other times.

So far, I've not heard of one person that said their unit did take the upgrade as far as echomap 9-'s down. Why do they have to put the entire USA on these cards? I don't know of anyone else that does. I know Humminbird Lakemaster does not, nor does the Navionics maps I'm almost sure. Most people want a map of their section of the USA. 75% of the info on these maps are wasted for 95% of the people that buy them. It makes no sense to me.

You will have trouble filling up 1 gig of space. I have maybe 8 hours of QD and its like 20 mb. I forget exactly, but someone said you could map all the way around the equator and only use like 1 gig.
    Wow. I bought a 16gb card on sale for $8.99. Quick Draw is a heck of a feature. I'll just make my own ultra map of my lake. LOL

I guess Quick Draw will be better anyway. I guess I'll forgive Garmin for selling me an ultra card that doesn't work on my lake.....crap in my entire STATE actually.
    Last edited by Randall53; 07-20-2017 at 03:34 PM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2va07 View Post
    Does anyone know of something in particular I could look at that wasn't there previously, that is now there in the 2017 maps? I updated them to my SD card, but would like to know if the unit is actually using the updated mapping since I'm not copying it into the unit's memory. Thanks.
    The unit defaults to the map card if installed

18. Member
    So far, I've not heard of one person that said their unit did take the upgrade as far as echomap 9-'s down. Why do they have to put the entire USA on these cards? I don't know of anyone else that does. I know Humminbird Lakemaster does not, nor does the Navionics maps I'm almost sure. Most people want a map of their section of the USA. 75% of the info on these maps are wasted for 95% of the people that buy them. It makes no sense to me.
    Its worse than that because now its a single much bigger map than it used to be. Before, they had the Marine charts as a separate map from the Lakes map. Now they are merged into a single giant map, and take up more memory. I think it also runs slower on my 7610 than it did before.

Its worse than that because now its a single much bigger map than it used to be. Before, they had the Marine charts as a separate map from the Lakes map. Now they are merged into a single giant map, and take up more memory. I think it also runs slower on my 7610 than it did before.
    That's not smart marketing from the consumer end of the issue. Convenience of use should always be for the consumer.

20. Member
    Wow, what I suspected had happened even before! Damn Garmin!

Since memory (including internal memory) is dirty cheap nowadays, I highly suspect “no enough space” is also an excuse Garmin is using. I doubt they would really change memory size for each model.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast