Shorten shaft on Minn Kota 55lb AT

Has anyone ever attempted to shorten the shaft on one? The little bit of research I have done makes it seem like it shouldn't be that hard. I got a 55lb MK AT foot control for a real good price but I realized it is a 52" shaft, the guy selling didn't even think about it and I assumed it was a standard 45". I am putting it on a 1648 jon boat that I am working on and that shaft length is too long for the boat. Thanks!

2. Member
    The shaft can't be cut. The steering pinion goes in a recess in the shaft and cutting the top off will eliminate that recess. A shorter shaft could be put in the motor, however, a 45" shaft will not lay properly on the mount for the 52". When stowed, it will pull the lower unit up above the motor rest.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Well dang, I was hopeful when seeing all these youtube videos of people doing it. whats a new 45" shaft cost roughly?

4. Member
    Is it something to do with this particular trolling motor? I'm just curious cuz there are tons of people online talking about how they did it and how easy it was. They do not mention the stowed mounting though

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter256\\ View Post
    Is it something to do with this particular trolling motor? I'm just curious cuz there are tons of people online talking about how they did it and how easy it was. They do not mention the stowed mounting though
    It can be done with a hand operated, with a Terrova, a Powerdrive, even an Ultrex -- as long as you stay within the confines of the correct mount. A 42/45" shaft has to have the standard mount to lay on the motor rest when stowed. A 62" bowmount motor can be made a 52 and still fit the mount (they use a "long" mount) -- as long as it is not an All Terrain, Edge, Maxxum, or Fortrex. These motors have a pinion gear that attaches to the shaft. The shaft is recessed where the pinion gear slides inside and when you cut the shaft, you remove the recess. If you wanted to drill the shaft to create a recess, then you get to disassemble the motor and remove the wires, hope you can get it drilled straight cause if you're off even a little, the pinion will rotate in an elliptical manner and the steering will not work properly. Powerdrives, hand operated, and Terrovas slide up the transmission so the motor rest is always in the correct place.
    don't believe everything you see on you tube -- some of the videos I've seen should be labeled "How to screw up a trolling motor"
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Good info, thanks for the details, sounds like something I will definitely stay away from.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    It can be done with a hand operated, with a Terrova, a Powerdrive, even an Ultrex -- as long as you stay within the confines of the correct mount. A 42/45" shaft has to have the standard mount to lay on the motor rest when stowed. A 62" bowmount motor can be made a 52 and still fit the mount (they use a "long" mount) -- as long as it is not an All Terrain, Edge, Maxxum, or Fortrex. These motors have a pinion gear that attaches to the shaft. The shaft is recessed where the pinion gear slides inside and when you cut the shaft, you remove the recess. If you wanted to drill the shaft to create a recess, then you get to disassemble the motor and remove the wires, hope you can get it drilled straight cause if you're off even a little, the pinion will rotate in an elliptical manner and the steering will not work properly. Powerdrives, hand operated, and Terrovas slide up the transmission so the motor rest is always in the correct place.
    don't believe everything you see on you tube -- some of the videos I've seen should be labeled "How to screw up a trolling motor"
    can a new BT model 60" MK Powerdrive shaft be reduced to 50, maybe even 48 inches? can it be done easily by a "regular joe" or is it a big job with lots of skills and special tools needed?

edit:
    I know you basically answered in your post...but i wanna be sure....got myself mixed up at the moment! lol

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bockscar View Post
    can a new BT model 60" MK Powerdrive shaft be reduced to 50, maybe even 48 inches? can it be done easily by a "regular joe" or is it a big job with lots of skills and special tools needed?

edit:
    I know you basically answered in your post...but i wanna be sure....got myself mixed up at the moment! lol
    Does it have the new "lift assist" feature?
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Banned
    Does it have the new "lift assist" feature?
    i believe so based on the model info I got from customer service...even though im not sure that info was accurate. I ordered it off of jet and couldnt get many answers since it was a 3rd part merchant fulfilling the order.

I did end up ordering the 60 inch because there were only 2 in stock and it was a PD w/iPilot for $930 out the door(the PDs have been selling out online lately at the discount sites)....but I called MK and they told me that unless a certified shop did the work I would completely void the warranty on everything, shaft and motor. I have a 04 tracker PT175, and think 60 is just too much based on googling....AND I also live 425 miles away from the nearest certified shop/person. Im likely returning the product and keeping an eye out for shorter shafts all things considered....dont wanna void the warranty just in case.

10. Member
    I had mine done years ago. You also have to change the mount also. I have a 52 mount with lift assist I would sell

11. Member
    John Is right. It can be cut. If it has lift assist it can be cut, but you will end up with a lot of transducer wire in head which has only a limited amount of room with it being I-Pilot. This is only the Power Drive and the Terrova. Ulterra can not be cut to a shorter length. They have started to install a new type of lift assist on PD and Terrova troll motors. Minn Kota service is right also that you must have an ASC to the work, Because it will void the warranty. This applies to any troll motor under warranty.

12. Member
    Where in Texas are you?
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

13. Banned
    el paso
    Where in Texas are you?

14. Banned
    good to hear it can be shortened....but bummed I cant take advantage. We need more ASC shops here in the middle of the desert where I live! lol

15. Member
    good to hear it can be shortened....but bummed I cant take advantage. We need more ASC shops here in the middle of the desert where I live! lol
    Or move to a better location where they have water and ASC. LOL

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Or move to a better location where they have water and ASC. LOL
    MY STRUGGLE IS REAL! LMAO

In all seriousness.....I prolly go fishing a little more than I should (homelake is an "easy" 2 hours away)...I cant imagine how often I would be fishing if I lived in a place like Dallas...especially knowing there are trophy bass in the water! lol the struggle is real

17. Member
    MY STRUGGLE IS REAL! LMAO

In all seriousness.....I prolly go fishing a little more than I should (homelake is an "easy" 2 hours away)...I cant imagine how often I would be fishing if I lived in a place like Dallas...especially knowing there are trophy bass in the water! lol the struggle is real