Thread: Prop Diameter

Prop Diameter

What effect does prop diameter have? I'm running a Honda 150 with a 14.5"x19P (standard issue when I purchased the motor) and in prop shopping I notice props in the 13.75" to 14 5/8" for my application. Thanks for your input.
    New engine break-in period so I don't have Wide open speed but here's the info I have.
    19' nitro
    150 honda 14.5x19 aluminum prop gear ratio is 2.14:1 I did take it to 6200 rpm briefly without hitting the rev limiter
    4k rpm=30 mph
    tanks half full (20-25 gals)
    hole shot is 3400 rpm's before the nose comes down (I installed wedges which helped) on 5" jackplate
    I tried a 14.25"x21 aluminum and it didn't get any bite and I couldn't get on plane
    I'm at 3.5" below pad on my setting but tried raising and lowering it 1/2" without any improvements for this prop
    I hope this is enough info to give you guys an idea where I'm at in the re-proping process. Thanks for your knowledge sharing.......

You need to forget about the aluminum. Aluminum props don't perform well bassboats. They have little to no cup and the blades flex too much. Try a tempest or a trophy, probably a 21 pitch.

3. Member
    Yep I agree. I'm trying to find the right pitch before I commit to a stainless. Possibly one of Mark's creations.

The right pitch in aluminum is not gonna be the same in stainless.

5. Member
    Break the motor in and run it loaded ready to fish not lite and get some new numbers or you'll end up spending a bunch of money on props. List the model number of your boat too.