2016 I pilot improvements

Anybody have the old and post 2016 I pilot that can compare them for me? Any reason to upgrade? Mostly looking for improved spot lock function

2. Member
    I have the old on a 18' Lund Pro Guide, I have always been happy enough with it but I didn't realize how much it lacked till I helped a friend install a new 36V BT model on his 23' pontoon. I was amazed at how quick the spot lock locked on, how close it held his pontoon and how quiet it was. My 24V is 5 years old and has seen a lot of use, I just replaced the steering motor on it and I think it now is as or close to as quiet as his new model. I have always been happy with my spot lock and always felt it held pretty good but it wandered a lot looking for the "spot" before it settled in. MHO....

3. Member
    Yeah mine wonders quite a bit. Haven't done software updates in a while so I should probably try that first. Probably just just to the ultrex if I do upgrade.

4. Member
    Anybody have a permanent fix for the constant squeaking when the steering makes small adjustments? Nothing I have tried lasts very long.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post
    Anybody have the old and post 2016 I pilot that can compare them for me? Any reason to upgrade? Mostly looking for improved spot lock function
    I have both the new I-pilot spot lock works great! The more wind and current the better. Before when using the spot lock the back end of the boat would come around the front, but now it stays in place and the back end of the boat does not come around. The only thing I noticed is when using the advanced autopilot the motor seems to wander back and forth more, before I would just turn the motor to where I would want to go and it would stay pointed in that direction. Now I would have to make minor adjustments with the advanced auto on.
    2013 Crestliner VT17
    Honda BF75
    Minn Kota Terrova I-pilot link
    Hummindird 998c si

6. Member
    the older units had 2 autopilots, autopilot and advanced. The regular auto pilot would just keep pointing the same direction until you changed the direction. The advanced would be guided by the gps and keep you on the heading you chose

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    the older units had 2 autopilots, autopilot and advanced. The regular auto pilot would just keep pointing the same direction until you changed the direction. The advanced would be guided by the gps and keep you on the heading you chose
    I know that, I stated that the advanced autopilot compared to the old advanced autopilot. The old one would stay on course without constantly adjusting. The new version I feel is not as good
    2013 Crestliner VT17
    Honda BF75
    Hummindird 998c si

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post
    Anybody have a permanent fix for the constant squeaking when the steering makes small adjustments? Nothing I have tried lasts very long.
    I noticed this as well when using advanced autopilot. Seemed to correct in small increments constantly which creates incessant noise. I hope they can come up with a software update/fix that smooths this out.

9. Member
    I found out this weekend if I lowered the Boat scale sensitivity down that the constant wandering stopped when using advanced autopilot
    2013 Crestliner VT17
    Honda BF75
    Hummindird 998c si

10. Member
    Suprteck that's a good tip. I also have a 17 foot aluminum. What did you set your scale at?

11. Member
    I set it to -1
    2013 Crestliner VT17
    Honda BF75
    Hummindird 998c si

12. Member
    Advanced auto pilot is awful. The "legacy autopilot" choice on the new models is much better. I set the Legacy autopilot as my default on the remote. It just points in a straight line and goes, none of that crazy zig zagging.

The improvement in accuracy of spot lock from the newest autopilots to the older models is dramatic. It never varies more than 4 or 5 feet where the old one would move 20 feet with a strong gust of wind or boat wake. The new version just reacts so much faster that it doesn't get pushed way off the spot.

If you want to make small adjustments to your anchor position to be able to say get a better angle at a downed tree or casting to the dock, the jog feature on the new motors is a huge addition. You trully can move in 5 foot increments, forward, back, left, right. I use it all the time when fishing off shore structure like a brush pile for crappie or staying over a school of stripers while vertical jigging.

The only big issue in my mind is the remote itself. The location of the upp and down speed and the left and right direction controls are not as intuitive as the older models. I'm getting use to them but they really messed up not putting the up speed directly over the master power button and the down speed directly below it. The left and right isn't quite as bad but I do find myself turning the speed up or down by mistake rather than turning right or left.

13. Member
    If your spot lock if wandering, lower the scale setting on your remote. It comes from the factory set at zero. I'm at minus 2 and it's on the money. In wind or stronger currents, you can increase the scale to get the results you want. Easy peasey.
    2016 Tracker ProTeam 195 TXW
    Mercury 150 L EFI 4-stroke
    Twin Helix 9 SI GPS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 w/iPilot Link
    Easy Step