Just moved to Fort Myers..... Where do I go fishing now??

Hello everyone,

I just relocated to Fort Myers from Ohio. I have been looking for some good places to fish and I am also looking for some pot tournaments and bass clubs in the area. I need some idea of what is around here. I fished Trafford Lake the other day, this lake is WAY down. Seen all those gators though!!!! Caught a couple little ones and was only there about 3 hours. Where are the better places to go, don't want you to give up the honey holes, just some good places to put the boat in.

thanks all and good luck out there

JoJoBasser
    JoJo
    1994 Skeeter SX200
    1996 Johnson Venom 200 J200STLEDM

2. Member
    Better learn how to snook fish great inshore fishing there

1hr from Okeechobee.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

Do a Map of Florida and find lakes within 1 hour distance.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The Gulf!

Lake Okeechobee in Clewiston. They have tournaments everyweekend. Bass Busters. Roland Martin Team Trail ,and some local clubs. The City of Lake Placid has several good fishing lakes also.

7. Member
    Your going to have to drive for freshwater......You can always fish the river if you need close water.....Other then Trafford, you have The big O and lots of lakes in highlands county anywhere from a hour away to 2 hours away.
    If your smart get yourself a multi species boat like a flats boat or bay boat that can serve you fishing fresh and saltwater......Believe me you will love the saltwater fishing down here......Snook, tarpon and redfish are a blast!!!
    Jason

8. Member
    Also you have the canals in cape coral and Naples (golden gate city)......Those you will need wait till rainy season...They are very low right now.
    And i guess you have all of the everglades, not many places in the world where you can pull over at a rest stop and launch your boat LOL
    Jason

9. Member
    Whenever I go down there I fish the salt. If I lived there I'd switch in an instant.

10. Member
    Do NOT, I repeat do NOT, go snook fishing !

It it will change your life, and heaven help you if you hook a Tarpon.

You will be dumbfounded at why you ever enjoyed bass fishing.

Once you get into reds and Snook--Bass will feel like nothing. Sell your current boat and get a Shallow water center console. Also buy a lot of Deet for the No-SEE-UMS!!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davecon View Post
    Do NOT, I repeat do NOT, go snook fishing !

It it will change your life, and heaven help you if you hook a Tarpon.

You will be dumbfounded at why you ever enjoyed bass fishing.

Hes not lying you know??
    Jason

13. Member
    Thanks for all the info. I am a bass guy to the bone. I have heard about the salt stuff but I came this far for the big O. I like the bass tournaments so I will be finding some of those. And I am sure I will dabble at the saltwater stuff before you know it.
    JoJo
    1994 Skeeter SX200
    1996 Johnson Venom 200 J200STLEDM

14. Member
    Snook, reds, trout, permit ... go saltwater.
    You can do vacations for your bass fix.

Cape Coral has some decent fishing. My son fished the Hospital Chain last week in his High School club and the water was not as low as I expected. Other than that you can't beat Clewiston. Roland Martins Marina has a great group of people who are always willing to give you some advice. The water of the "O" is low right now but fishing is good, just be careful or you will be replacing a prop and or lower unit. Trafford is hit or miss lately, with the low water levels it can be very good. Alligator Alley ( I75) @ Mile marker 51, 40 and 35 all have boat ramps and the fishing in that area can be good when the water is low. ( Like shooting fish in a barrel )

I have done the "salt" thing a few times and everyone is right it is a blast but I'll stick with what I grew up on (freshwater).

Cape Coral has a bass club and you can find their info on the internet. There is also a team club based out of Ft Myers.
    1991 Storm 20'6 ( Double Cheesy )
    1998 Merc 225 EFI
    Bob's Jackplate
    SIMRAD GO7
    Dual Power Pole Sportsman 2's

16. Member
    Go here: http://myfwc.com/boating/boat-ramps-access their Public Launch site. You can search by county, zone, etc. You will more launches than you ever knew existed.

your Welcome.