Need prop advice

Hey guys I am a newish Stroker owner and trying to get the right prop. Boat is an 03 with 250 SHO stock (no flash).
    I tried a NIB 28p Scorpion today and only hit 81 and could only turn 5500. Water pressure was at 15. I had the plate at 3" and lost pressure so bumped it down to 2.5" and got the numbers above. I was told the scorpion is a very stiff prop and it doesn't look as if I can turn it. Anybody running a SHO on their Stroker? If so what prop has worked best for you? I'm still somewhat of a newbie to these go-fast boats so take it easy on me
    Will Scaife
    2003 Stroker, 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

2. Member
    Hi Will and welcome to the Stroker gang. Don't know much about SHO but most think that a worked Bravo is the best all around prop. I have run both a 28 and 30 with good results. Personally, I prefer the Performer props and run a 28 and 30 three blade as well as a 30 four blade. With my Merc 2005 250XS going fishing solo, I have run it many times at 94.8.

Something to consider is the lower unit. Most do not hold up to surfacing the prop. The best success has been using the Sprortsmaster lower unit.

I am sure more guys will chime in.
    fastglass1
    2000 Stroker
    2005 250XS
    30+ Performer 3 and 30 Performer 4

PM member 'walnutshoe' He has a Stroker with a SHO, flashed but he could still prob give you some good setup tips. That 28p Scorpion is going to turn like a 30p prop and might not be a good fit for that hull... see what walnutshoe says
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

4. Member
    Bravo, but you will need less venting than the mercury's. Cut flare but plugged and/or smaller hole plugs in the vents.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Bravo, but you will need less venting than the mercury's. Cut flare but plugged and/or smaller hole plugs in the vents.
    I was thinking a 4-balde like the Bravo might be better, esp considering how high the Strokers usually like the motor. Def wont need as much venting, Actually with my SHO so far every prop has done best with all holes closed, where the same prop/hull but with a Merc usually runs all open or a couple Large plugs.

6. Member
    No venting required. Thru hubs will hole shot best with zero spooling. 28 Bravo fs would be a good one to try. The T1 Yamaha 3 blade if you keep it 2 above or less. Will crab above 2". Over hubs and over thru work for light load top end prop. Hole shot will be terrible with a load due to spooling. My experience so far, your mileage may vary.

7. Member
    Prop it for 6000/6100 wot and run it hard when water allows. SHO likes running the 6000.

8. Member
    Which stroker you got??got to show pics for us tire kickers

9. Member
    He bought mine. It's just seat time with him getting the boat to run. That and get the prop repaired that came on the boat.
    2003 Stroker with 2014 SHO
    2012 21RDC Bullet with 2016 SHO

10. Member
    Both of those are very good points. A good prop and a ton of seat time.

11. Member
    IndianOutlaw had her rolling good. I would do as he suggests on repair of the prop that was on the boat. Proven runner and less investment. Props can become another addiction - lol

Quote Originally Posted by walnutshoe View Post
    IndianOutlaw had her rolling good. I would do as he suggests on repair of the prop that was on the boat. Proven runner and less investment. Props can become another addiction - lol
    I currently have 5, and I feel like I've trimmed the fat... at one point there were 10+ laying on the shelves around my boat... looking at me like "put me in coach, Im ready..."

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by walnutshoe View Post
    Lol...you aren't kidding, that scorpian is mine......stuff joker. A razor 4 is proving to be the ticket on most of these big bullets
    2003 Stroker with 2014 SHO
    2012 21RDC Bullet with 2016 SHO

14. Member
    Remove the 4 bolts in front of and under the power head. Let let SHO fall on the ground. Bolt on a new Merc. Running problems solved!!!!
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs