Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many running power pole sandwich brackets ?

Thinking about putting a powerpole on my Ranger. I have a CMC 5-1/2 jackplate . Will have to use the sandwich brackets..I have read a lot of negatives on here about the sandwich style brackets. Looking to see how many people are running them, and how many people have had problems ,if any. Thanks

2. Member
    I've had sandwich brackets on my last two boats,no problems at all.

3. Member
    I have a CMC 5.5" jackplate as well on my Triton. Running dual 8' blades with the sandwich brackets between the motor and the jackplate. Nothing wrong with the brackets, they are something for the poles to mount to and that's all they need to be.

4. Member
    no problems on my 10" cmc jackplate

I have the sandwich brackets on my triton/atlas setup. No issues at all.

6. mikesxpress
    Have a set of 8 footers on my Z21 Intracoastal. No issues.
    As with all PP's, keep them strapped tight to the boat during long hauls to eliminate shaking/vibration and keep the bottom knuckle bolt tight.

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Wondering where you read anything negative on sandwich brackets, not sure what would be negative about them. Ive never heard one negative to date.

8. Member
    Don't buy into the BS mercury crap they are perfectly fine. I have been running them for years. I did get rid of the standard 1/2 in bolts in transom. I upped them to 5/8 bolts.

9. Member
    I figured that was what he had heard. Mercury has a statement out that if you use a sandwich bracket you will violate the warranty. If your out of warranty it really doesn't matter.

10. mikesxpress
    I have never seen any Mercury TSB addressing the use of these brackets? The engine bolts to the jack plate and the jack plate bolts thru the brackets/transom. If your engine control cables are long enough to facilitate the install then it has nothing to do with the engine. More "rock in a milk jug" internet entertainment???

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    I have never seen any Mercury TSB addressing the use of these brackets? The engine bolts to the jack plate and the jack plate bolts thru the brackets/transom. If your engine control cables are long enough to facilitate the install then it has nothing to do with the engine. More "rock in a milk jug" internet entertainment???
    Without looking it up again, I believe it was if you were mounting using the Sandwich Brackets between the Motor and Transom or Motor and Jackplate. Something about the "wings" where the mounting holes are would break off and Mercury would not honor the warranty.

Been awhile since I read it, but I did see it with my own two eyes.

12. Member
    I am currently running a sandwich bracket on my rig (sold this way from the dealer new. I heard about this Mercury warranty crap, so I wrote to Mercury and asked them directly. Below is Mercury's reply to me.

"This information was released in 2013. Again, the engine warranty would not be voided. Any failure caused by the improper mounting would not be covered in warranty. If an unrelated failure caused by a defect in manufacturing occurred to the powerhead or other engine component, it would be covered under the terms of the warranty. It is the responsibility of the engine owner, and dealer, to adhere to proper mounting requirements.
    We hope this information is helpful to you. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our Customer Service department at 920-929-5040 between the hours of 7:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, CST.
    Sincerely,
    Mercury Outboard Customer Assistance
    "

And a separate reply from Mercury on this subject.

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding your Mercury engine, serial #XXXXXX. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.
    Mercury Marine has been made aware that certain aftermarket marine accessories, such as emergency boarding ladders, shallow water anchors, transom wedge kits, and tow sport attaching devices can be mounted to the boat by use of the same fasteners that secure the outboard to the transom (or jack plate). The multiple uses of these fasteners (securing both an acessory and the engine to the boat) compromises the ability of the fasteners to maintain the proper clamp load. The use of a boat with loose engine mounting fasteners creates the possibility of performance, durability, and/or safety issues.
    Do not use the fasteners that secure the engine to the boat (either the transom or the jack plate) for any purpose other than securing the engine to the boat. Do not attach an accessory to the boat by use of the engine mounting hardware. Do not install wedges or plates between the engine transom clamp brackets and the transom (or jack plate).

After the engine is mounted to the transom or jack plate, consistent with the engine installation instructions, it is acceptable to attach an accessory to the boat by use of the unused bolt holes in the transom clamp bracket, but only if:
    · the accessory fasteners pass through the boat transom or jack plate
    · the accessory devices are not mounted to the clamp bracket in an unsupported condition.

· The installation does not create interference issues, such as an accessory mounting plate resting in the radius of the clamp bracket.

Any failure which might be a result of unauthorized use as described above, will not be covered under the terms of the factory warranty.
    We hope this information is helpful to you. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our Customer Service department at 920-929-5040 between the hours of 7:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, CST.
    Sincerely,
    Mercury Outboard Customer Assistance"

I also have the service bulletin that talks about this, but would have to do some digging to find it.

I also asked Mercury repeatedly what about all the engines that are running a sandwich style bracket prior to the service bulletin being issued? To date, nothing from Mercury but crickets.....

BTW I also feel this is crap as there is no way the sandwich bracket is bad for the motors mount system. But then I don't cover the warranty work either.

Now with that said, I am considering switching to a JP install, but not because of the above info.
    Last edited by cfm56doc; 05-14-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

13. Member
    The Mercury warranty is what got me asking. Mine is just about up so it really don't matter. Just looking for input from others. Thanks

14. Member
    Only part that may be affected would be the engines mounting brackets. They would have to prove a sandwhich style bracket cause any other parts failure.

Still stand by that it is BS.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

15. Banned
    Check with Don Weed over on the Mercury board... He'll set you straight... Dan

16. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Anyone have any idea what the torque needed for tightening the sandwich bracket between motor and jackplate is? Does the bracket come with the necessary hardware/ does it come with instructions that include torque settings? Thanks
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnw91 View Post
    Anyone have any idea what the torque needed for tightening the sandwich bracket between motor and jackplate is? Does the bracket come with the necessary hardware/ does it come with instructions that include torque settings? Thanks
    There is no appropriate torque as there should be NOTHING between the transom clamp
    brackets and the jack plate (or transom).

Proper torque WITHOUT sandwiched items can be found in the 3L Mercury Forum (FAQ Section).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    I'm using Hydrilla Gear Sandi brackets on 10' poles w/ no issues.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    There is no appropriate torque as there should be NOTHING between the transom clamp
    brackets and the jack plate (or transom).

Proper torque WITHOUT sandwiched items can be found in the 3L Mercury Forum (FAQ Section).
    What about wedges for increasing/ decreasing trim inputs? Those have been around for years and I have never heard of such a thing.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Same rule applies. Covered in Mercury Service Bulletin 2013-15.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast