Advice on first boat

I've been looking at getting my first boat, trying to keep it under 6k but I also want a fiberglass. I've been looking at older models and the closest thing I've found to being a decent boat seems to be a 97 stratos 282 with a 150 evinrude intruder. I don't have any idea how these motors are, as the only motors I've ever dealt with have been Yamaha. I'm currently out of country right now and can't go take a look at it. If he still has it I plan on taking it for a test ride, but I've also seen stuff about a boat having a bad transom. How would I even go about testing that or getting the compression while I'm there? It's an older fellow that owns it and doesn't use it anymore but he said his nephew uses it on the weekends. Other than that I don't know much about it. Anything else to check besides the transom and compression?

Check the transom by first visually inspecting the corners of the splash well for any obvious cracks or patch jobs. Next, put some weight on the motor and bounce it. (Tug on it or put a foot on the anti-cavitation plate.) There should be NO FLEXING of the transom when you put it under weight.

Check the floors for soft spots. A soft or mushy floor is a sign of wood rotting. If the wood is rotting on the floor, odds are the wood stringers and transom are in similar shape.

Check under the boat for any big gouges. If you see glass matting, it's a concern. Depending on how long the gouge has been left unattended, you may have water intrusion.

Most boat mechanics will do a "while you wait" compression check if you call them in advance. It only takes a few minutes and is well worth the effort/money.

You need to be realistic about a 20+ year old boat. Normal dings and scrapes are OK. For me, anything that shows major water damage I would run away from FAST!

Good advice ^^^^
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

4. Member
    Another major issue that a lot of people overlook (myself included) is un used boats. Meaning people brag about low hours on old boats but fail to tell you that its been sitting for 4 years with the same gas in it. Sitting boats are not good. Lots of fuel related issues that are costly pop up quick. So if the one you are looking at gets run regularly thats a big plus. Also after getting motor tested and checked, dont forget trailer maitenence. Tires, bearings, brakes, lighting, etc. Ya get all excited cuz the boat looks great and then realize you gotta sink a grand into the trailer cuz tires and bearings are shot. Just sayin, look that over closely as well.

Replied to wrong post....sorry
    2015 Nitro Z6
    2015 Mercury 115 4S CT

6. Member
    Here is a good used buyers checklist.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=590067

Get a boarding ladder!

Easier to fall out of your first boat than you think. Especially when you go out alone in the beginning so as not to embarrass yourself!
    Old Retarded Jarhead
    Master Sergeant of Marines (Retired)

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlg309 View Post
    Check the transom by first visually inspecting the corners of the splash well for any obvious cracks or patch jobs. Next, put some weight on the motor and bounce it. (Tug on it or put a foot on the anti-cavitation plate.) There should be NO FLEXING of the transom when you put it under weight.

Check the floors for soft spots. A soft or mushy floor is a sign of wood rotting. If the wood is rotting on the floor, odds are the wood stringers and transom are in similar shape.

Check under the boat for any big gouges. If you see glass matting, it's a concern. Depending on how long the gouge has been left unattended, you may have water intrusion.

Most boat mechanics will do a "while you wait" compression check if you call them in advance. It only takes a few minutes and is well worth the effort/money.

You need to be realistic about a 20+ year old boat. Normal dings and scrapes are OK. For me, anything that shows major water damage I would run away from FAST!
    Excellent read thank you for taking the time.