Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports1 View Post
    Again, I want to be in a 20 or 21 footer in rough water. And a 150 would barely get a 20 or 21 footer out of the hole.
    People fished the great lakes for many years without a 21' boat with a 250 hp engine.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    People fished the great lakes for many years without a 21' boat with a 250 hp engine.
    They may have but I would not want to do that if possible. I like the 20 and 21 foot boats in rough water.

Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    They used to drive head long through the North Atlantic, with out radar in a boat called the Titanic which was called "unsinkable" too

I think things have become excessive in professional sports to a point where people feel a need for the extreme. This would lead to 22 plus foot boats becoming the norm rather than the upper limit. Back in the day a 17'10" x 88" Ranger 360 series was a zippy rig with a 175 and I personally do not feel a need for much more today. I'll take a Z518 with a 150 all day long and not miss a thing.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by esdbass View Post
    They used to drive head long through the North Atlantic, with out radar in a boat called the Titanic which was called "unsinkable" too

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    I think things have become excessive in professional sports to a point where people feel a need for the extreme. This would lead to 22 plus foot boats becoming the norm rather than the upper limit. Back in the day a 17'10" x 88" Ranger 360 series was a zippy rig with a 175 and I personally do not feel a need for much more today. I'll take a Z518 with a 150 all day long and not miss a thing.
    I'm with you. My 17'7" BCB Margay with the 150 4S, Talons and Ultrex is all that I need. I can fit over a dozen rods in the locker, still run in the 60s and handle a decent chop. It's not a 21 footer ride, but I try to avoid the really bad days anyway.

7. Member
    If you want to come back in sudden bad weather then fine that is your choice. My choice is to be in a bigger boat. In the current situation you can run that smaller boat in bad weather but don't stop me from riding in my 21 footer. Everyone has different preferences so no need to force people into your preference.

I went to College in Burlington Vt right on Lake Champlain. A guy I knew at the time had a 35' cigarette off shore boat and he sold it and bought a 43' Fountain craft. I asked him "why" as the new boat was a little slower than the older shorter 35' boat. He told me because, " Now I feel I can go out on the lake pretty much almost any day I want. In the 35' boat he said there were days that it was too rough" So you tell me, is a 22' bass boat better in rough water than a 35' off shore race boat? Guess this guy felt 35' wasn't and he needed 43'. Any off shore cigarette boat is far better in rough water than any bass boat made so while I don't see there ever being 35' bass boats, you never know

9. Member
    Back in those days, you could pull your rig with a "brand new" truck that cost less than $15,000, too...As long as they get bigger and more expensive, the market is going to keep "needing" them. Did you ever think you would see $500 reels?

I went to College in Burlington Vt right on Lake Champlain. A guy I knew at the time had a 35' cigarette off shore boat and he sold it and bought a 43' Fountain craft. I asked him "why" as the new boat was a little slower than the older shorter 35' boat. He told me because, " Now I feel I can go out on the lake pretty much almost any day I want. In the 35' boat he said there were days that it was too rough" So you tell me, is a 22' bass boat better in rough water than a 35' off shore race boat? Guess this guy felt 35' wasn't and he needed 43'. Any off shore cigarette boat is far better in rough water than any bass boat made so while I don't see there ever being 35' bass boats, you never know
    Don't agree with your analogy. Heard his reasoning before and don't particularly think it holds water. Length is important to the extent that you can span waves with boat length Going to a longer boat essentially takes some driver input out of the equation. A smaller boat, properly propped, is considerably more nimble and able to negotiate truly large waves. You can "surf" crests, land softer at better angles in the valleys, and to a degree - stay dryer while not submarining the hull. It does have to be propped for holeshot and throttle response vs. top speed. This is the reason boats on big water go to 5 blade props vs. 3 blade. If the waves are large enough for it to matter - nobody is "running". You slow down and thread your way through. Then it comes down to physics and displacement & mass are not your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    Back since the 150 hp days, I always said they will go to 24' boats with 300 hp. Slowly heading that way.
    That's a bay boat....lol

i looked at one, but decided to stay with my PII
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    BassCat has been selling an Eyra with a 300hp rating for a few years, or at least they did. They wouldn't just sell it to anyone though. I think you had to somehow show you were experienced enough at driving a boat at the speeds that it may well produce. I don't know that the Jag has any limit. Call BCB to find out about the Eyra for certain. I have no idea if BASS or FLW is considering raising the HP limit. I kind of doubt they would do that, but someone probably said that when the limit was 150hp.
    I got caught in the 150 change, bought a PII with a 150 because I was going to fish BASS and 6 months later they changed it........

Quote Originally Posted by JStew View Post
    Don't agree with your analogy. Heard his reasoning before and don't particularly think it holds water. Length is important to the extent that you can span waves with boat length Going to a longer boat essentially takes some driver input out of the equation. A smaller boat, properly propped, is considerably more nimble and able to negotiate truly large waves. You can "surf" crests, land softer at better angles in the valleys, and to a degree - stay dryer while not submarining the hull. It does have to be propped for holeshot and throttle response vs. top speed. This is the reason boats on big water go to 5 blade props vs. 3 blade. If the waves are large enough for it to matter - nobody is "running". You slow down and thread your way through. Then it comes down to physics and displacement & mass are not your friend.
    I think the off shore race world pretty much has proven in real life that "longer is better" The old shorter offshore boats can't compete speed or ability to run fast in rougher water than the shorter boats of a few years ago. Racing always sets the bar in regards to function and design that gets passed down to the rest of the marine market. Hey an Aircraft carrier at some point gets slowed down by truly huge seas but I damn well bet being on the USS Ronald Regan in a hurricane is "less bad" and more safe than on a small Coast Guard cutter or the Andrea Gail

14. RIP -April 30,2023
    yep, regardless what sport it is.

I think the off shore race world pretty much has proven in real life that "longer is better" The old shorter offshore boats can't compete speed or ability to run fast in rougher water than the shorter boats of a few years ago. Racing always sets the bar in regards to function and design that gets passed down to the rest of the marine market. Hey an Aircraft carrier at some point gets slowed down by truly huge seas but I damn well bet being on the USS Ronald Regan in a hurricane is "less bad" and more safe than on a small Coast Guard cutter or the Andrea Gail

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    Back since the 150 hp days, I always said they will go to 24' boats with 300 hp. Slowly heading that way.
    God I hope so! I have never been in a bass boat and said hmmm I wish it was smaller. I will be going 300HP + on my next boat. I don't fish tournaments that max out at 250 anyway. I don't buy my truck with the smallest available motor and sure not going to with my boat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12