Lake of Egypt / Crab Orchard

I'm heading down to So Ill later this week to attend the graduation ceremony for my master's degree program at SIUC. I'm bringing the boat (and the wife and kids ) and we're hoping to take advantage of just about everything we can while we're down there -- fishing, hiking, wineries, fried chicken at Giant City Lodge, etc. We've got a cabin reserved on the upper end of Lake of Egypt and I'm consider making the short drive up to Crab Orchard for a day. I was wondering if anyone had any lake conditions, fishing reports, or other information worth passing along. I'm not looking for specifics or anything, just a general starting point since I don't have a lot of time. Has the southern part of the state been hammered with rain and flooding like south Missouri has? Any information is appreciated.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are.

2. Member
    We got just as much rain as Missouri some parts down by Marion seen 11+ inches all the lakes are up drive past crab the other day water was up and dirty but didnt seem as muddy as rend make did dunno how the bite is there dishes it a few weeks ago and caught some nice ones on laydowns. Egypt it took 16lbs to win over weekend and Kincaid it took 20lbs to win. I would look into fishing them unless someone has heard more on crab

3. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    Don't forget the combo platter at 17th street BBQ in Murphysboro. The fried Chicken and Lodge are Great !! Waterfalls will be flowing to the Max.

4. Member
    We had a tournament on Crab last Sunday. There were only 2 fish caught in 18 boats and of everybody surveyed those were the only two bites anybody got. Stay away for now would be my advice. Earlier in the week a lot of rain fell and it is very muddy, so muddy you think you could drive across it.

Quote Originally Posted by jake88 View Post
    We got just as much rain as Missouri some parts down by Marion seen 11+ inches all the lakes are up drive past crab the other day water was up and dirty but didnt seem as muddy as rend make did dunno how the bite is there dishes it a few weeks ago and caught some nice ones on laydowns. Egypt it took 16lbs to win over weekend and Kincaid it took 20lbs to win. I would look into fishing them unless someone has heard more on crab
    Kinkaid is a bit out of range for me on this one. But it's nice to know that Egypt isn't completely dead right now. I should be able to roll out of bed and climb right in the boat and go.

Quote Originally Posted by Basscaster View Post
    Don't forget the combo platter at 17th street BBQ in Murphysboro. The fried Chicken and Lodge are Great !! Waterfalls will be flowing to the Max.
    At the risk of being ridiculed (or possibly even shot), I've never been a huge fan of 17th Street. In my opinion, it's a little overrated. It's good, but not a must hit destination for me.

Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    We had a tournament on Crab last Sunday. There were only 2 fish caught in 18 boats and of everybody surveyed those were the only two bites anybody got. Stay away for now would be my advice. Earlier in the week a lot of rain fell and it is very muddy, so muddy you think you could drive across it.
    Wow! I'll go ahead and scratch Crab Orchard off right now.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are.

6. Member
    Pats BBQ in Murphysboro is waaay better than 17th street.