1995 225 starting problem

I am having an issue that just came up. I went to the lake the other day to test to make sure I had water pressure after servicing ghe lower unit. The night before I went I tried the engine and it started I shut it off immediately. I took the boat tot the lake the next day and backed it in and tried to start it while on the trailer. The engine turned over and wouldn't start I notice that when I got in the key switch was on I know I turned it off the night before. would leaving the switch on cause a problem or do I need to look else where. the boat has been sitting for 3 years and do to my health I haven't been able to fish but I am trying to go again. the serial number for the engine is OG257714,.
    Thanks for your help

2. Member
    Low battery voltage will cause it to not start and leaving the key on overnight will discharge the battery.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Low battery voltage will cause it to not start and leaving the key on overnight will discharge the battery.
    yes I realize that. the boat was on the battery charger. so voltage is not the problem

4. Member
    could something have burnt up?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving your thread to the 3L Forum for you.

Start with the BASICS:

-Compression
    -Spark
    -Fuel Quality/Delivery/Pressure

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Moving your thread to the 3L Forum for you.

Start with the BASICS:

-Compression
    -Spark
    -Fuel Quality/Delivery/Pressure
    im sorry I did not get a chance to look at the boat this week end I will check when I get back home from working out of town

7. Member
    Check the kill switch also