Little help on Pickwick?

I'm a HS captain for a team in TX. The boys earned a spot in the National championship the last week of June.
    We will have one day to practice and have never been on the lake so we're looking for some info on how to approach the lake.
    Not necessarily spots but general info
    They are pretty solid "junk" fishing shallow cover but I'm thinking this may not be a doable deal on that lake..
    What I'm really interested in is navigation hazards and things we need to look out for.

2. Member
    First, last week of June may be tough, it woulds be for me. The upper third of Pickwick can be a little tricky. Pay attention to your GPS. You are always safe in the main channel that is well marked. Once out of the main channel you need to stay aware as you can get in real skinny and at times stump infested water. There will be a lot of hydrilla around. Where are you going to put in at?

For me, junk fishing on Pick in the summer will probably get a limit, but it'll only weigh 7-8# and there is a 15" minimum length on LM and SM. Like Gehol said stumps and rocks can be a problem on the upper third. Rocks (big uns) on the Colbert Co. side near Sheffield, stumps more on the Lauderdale Co. side. Late June is the time to drag out the C-Rigs or Tx rigs, football jigs and deep cranks on the submerged ledges and maybe a little topwater in and around the grass early in the morning. Pick is a river impoundment and the bite lives and dies by how much water is being pulled at any one time. More than likely since it's a HS National, you'll go out of McFarland in Florence on the upper end. Even at summer pool, Pickwick can jump up and bite you. Be careful
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing it don't belong in a fruit salad.

4. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    your best bet that time of year is use electronics to locate active schools on ledges...............either that or hope for action around grass if it is a year for it this year

navigation is relatively safe other than stumps on flats outside the channels
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

5. Member
    Thank you for the info.
    We are putting in at McFarland in Florence.
    I was guessing that we would have to go deep, not our strong point.

6. Member
    Perhaps ledge fishing will be in deeper water but as others have said the grass and stump fields will be not more than 10 feet. Hydrilla doesn't grow well in water deeper than 10-12 feet. The other thing is the current. If you are fishing the upper third say from Natches Trace Bridge to Wilson Dam, if there is no current, you are not fishing, you are just boat riding. If water is flowing, the tail races just below the dam can be productive. Jigs, crank baits can produce some good smallies. I am sure there are some on here that can give you a better idea of what to use in the tail race area. But, the area from the Dam to the first bridge can be VERY treacherous. Try to get a little local knowledge of where you can and can not be.
    I don't know if it is allowed but I am sure a local would be glad to show you around the tail race area. Heck, I might even be around.