89' Johnson 200 Looper

What's the minimum compression you've seen on these motors. Mine is very low which is why it seems gutless. I'm going to check it again tomorrow to see if it's changed. But all 6 were in the 65~70 pound range. A retired technician told me they can run low. I'm sure this is why it tops out around 48 mph and struggles to plane out quickly.

got the boat for nothing and planning rebuild it when the season is over. But, to hear your thoughts on compression being so low.

2. Member
    I'm always suspicious when ALL cylinders test low(and even) on compression. Seems nearly impossible for all cylinders to lose exactly the same compression. Try another compression gauge first.

What boat do you have? What prop are you running? Any chance that the boat is waterlogged?
    1999 Stratos 273 / '98 Johnson 150hp

3. Member
    It's an 89' Javelin 396 DC. The possibility of being water logged is always there. I've not been able to go through it completely. The transom feels solid.

Here is a thread on the entire boat.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=791491

There's a video at the end of the motor running the first time that I took it out. The VRO alarm was still connected at the time. But, you get a good reference of the motor.

im going to check the compression again today with a different gauge. I also have a few "under the deck" videos to add to that thread.