Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig556 View Post
    Don says putting it in break in also primes the pump? It will run for a couple minutes?
    I think that is correct now that I think about it. I usually use a DDT. You still need to pressurized the oil tank with 5 psi or so while you hear the oil pump clicking after you put it in the break in mode. After you prime the oiling system and start the engine, loosen the cap on the oil tank on the motor and make sure oil is flowing from the remote tank properly (should fill the oil tank on the motor and overflow it). I have seen a lot of issues lately where the person has one of those oil tank fill systems and they leak air. These are causing engine failure!!! If the oil tank is not sealed, the oil system will not feed oil to the tank on the motor and this will lead to engine failure.
    Last edited by basspro57; 05-24-2017 at 07:53 AM.

2. Member
    My oil tank on the engine is filled 100% currently so I know it's working properly. Which tank do I pressurize? The tank on engine?

3. Member
    yes /gear case tester or hand pump / you got a factory serv manual ??????? hmmmmmm
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    No manual but yes I have a hand pump.

5. Member
    Don says putting it in break in also primes the pump? It will run for a couple minutes?
    Now that think about it...when you set break in with the throttle, it will cycle the oil pump for a couple of minutes. You should put 5psi (or so) of pressure on the oil tank of the motor while the oil pump is clicking. It will then run oil through all the lines and prime the system. Just use a bicycle hand pump.

6. Member
    As long as the oil tank on the motor is full, all you have to do is put it in break-in mode......no pressuring is needed. When the motor is running, that's when you bleed the lines from the remote oil tank.

7. Member
    Should I pop a line off while the pump is running? See if oil is coming out?

8. Member
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Member
    Haha ok ok. I meant at the engine not at the pump.

10. Member
    You can do that before you run the engine with pressure to the oil tank and the oil pump ticking. DONT DO THAT WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING!!!

Do what you want but I know two Merc Technicians and they always prime the oil system with pressure to the engine oil tank. You just spent a shitload of money...why take a chance.

11. Member
    No, I would never do that with engine running.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mercury's official recommendation IS to pressurize the remote oil tank while resetting break-in mode, OR when performing an oil pump prime sequence.

This is the best method to ensure the system is full, no air spaces ADDED during the procedure, and oil pump has adequate oil supply to it QUICKLY.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Ok, how do I pressurize the remote oil tank?

14. Member
    Bicycle pump.
    Gear case pressure tester.

15. Member
    How do I attach bicycle pump? Sorry I should have been more specific. I'm expecting delivery of the new powerhead tomorrow

16. Member
    You'll have to be creative and put some adapter fittings together.

17. Member
    Ok

18. Member
    So the new powerhead FINALLY showed today. When I get it all back together tomorrow can I run it on the muffs? Is it bad to run it for too long while on muffs?

19. Member
    Personally, I would not run it for very long on the muffs.

20. Member
    I just wanna make sure it starts and runs smooth before I head to the lake.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast