Thread: Sand bottom?

Sand bottom?

Anyone have pictures that can differentiate a sand bottom compared to other bottoms? Is it even capable of distinguishing a sand bottom?
    Nitro z21

2. Member
    Here is a sand bar in the middle of a weed bed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

3. Member
    Using only a fish finder, I doubt it would be possible to distinguish a sandy bottom without some knowledge of the area.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

on a sonar unit the thicker the red line the softer the bottom the thinner it is harder bottom.as far as sand or mud old timer salt water guys would drop heavy lead weight with hollow bottom. what came up stuck in hollow would tell them what the bottom was. natural lakes would tend to have more sand then man made lakes which would tend to be mud. then again also would depend on where you were. most fl. lakes would be sandy.

5. Member
    My experience with Garmin, is that harder bottom is thicker red band (assuming red is the color assigned to strong reflections). I don't have enough time on my Solix to verify that, but I'd assume the same principles?

6. Member
    I agree I thought the thicker the red the stronger/more solid the object is.
    Nitro z21

7. Member
    The thickness of the bottom is more closely related to the beam pattern/frequency and geometry of the bottom. The order of returns displayed is based on distance from transducer with the most distant signals displayed first. The color displayed is based on amplitude or strength of the bottom return and color palette. If you compare the side by side views on a 2D split view showing 83khz/200khz, the 83khz bottom is usually always thicker then the 200khz side. That is because the 83khz beam pattern is wider creating more distant returns then the narrower 200khz beam. JMO
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

8. Member
    "The order of returns displayed is based on distance from transducer with the most distant signals displayed first."

The most distant signals are displayed at the bottom of the screen. Those echos would return to the xdcr later than the nearer object echos.

I'm not sure what you are saying here...

9. Member
    Thought I was saying the same thing...LOL Maybe "first" was a little confusing?
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

10. Member
    Could just be that late night snack I had! ;)

11. Member
    Sand, Rock and wreck:

fish on sand:

Tank on sand:

Rock and sand:

12. Member
    What I have noticed sand over rock is sand will usually have some kind of dune shape, looks like waves in the bottom. Rock is usually never totally flat but have sharper breaks, rougher texture looking and edges. Easiest for bottom hardness is the red green screen pallet. I should add using SI.

2d sonar is only way to tell bottom type (hard or soft)

Last edited by MonteSS; 05-23-2017 at 05:37 AM.