Banned

Talon Sandwich bracket not going together

Installing a port side sandwich bracket. Reference the image below: The two pieces indicated in the red square will not go together, I can't get it started, it almost seems as if the "C" portion of the arm are just a hair too close together. Should they just slide easily together or should it require force?

The two pieces in the blue bracket slide together with no problems.

Thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Have you tried putting it in sliding it from the top down?

3. Member
    i put mine in from the top down, got it started about 1/2 inch down and tapped it down with rubber hammer while wiggle it, went right down,sounds like you are maybe getting it cocked a little

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhaymg View Post
    Installing a port side sandwich bracket. Reference the image below: The two pieces indicated in the red square will not go together, I can't get it started, it almost seems as if the "C" portion of the arm are just a hair too close together. Should they just slide easily together or should it require force?

The two pieces in the blue bracket slide together with no problems.

Thanks.

Exact same senario for me and mine has to be in last or next to last spline to miss boat.Wondered if there was a trick,grease it or how much force does it take.
    Looks like it might start from bottom, but top down looks impossible.

5. Banned
    I've tried putting it together from top down and bottom up and every orientation of trying to line up the teeth. I can't even get it started a 1/8", I'm confident I'm not crooked. I tried for about 10-15 minutes, stepped away and tried again with no luck. I'm thinking there is a flaw in transom bracket.

Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    Got mine started from the top and knowing it's lined up and smacked it with a hammer using a block of wood.
    Just got it together.I used white grease on splines,got it started and put 2 by 4 on it and started hitting??.ITS ON

7. Member
    Funny, just last Friday I helped a friend put a Talon on his boat and had exactly the same issue. I told him it was going to be a snap as I had put 2 on my boat earlier and they just slid together but mine were the jack plate mount not the sandwich bracket. 3 hours later I went home and got my 12# sledge. That and a piece of 2 x 4 and a lot of wacks finally got the job done. We greased it up good and once lined up we pounded away. Before we did that, we called MinnKota to express concern. He had just spent $200 and 2 hours of drive time to have a marina remove his engine so the bracket could be put on. One of the people on the phone made a comment that they had had the problem a while back. Does not sound like it was fixed or the bad inventory was not contained or recalled from their customers. All I can say is that my friend will never get that bracket apart.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by born to fish View Post
    Funny, just last Friday I helped a friend put a Talon on his boat and had exactly the same issue. I told him it was going to be a snap as I had put 2 on my boat earlier and they just slid together but mine were the jack plate mount not the sandwich bracket. 3 hours later I went home and got my 12# sledge. That and a piece of 2 x 4 and a lot of wacks finally got the job done. We greased it up good and once lined up we pounded away. Before we did that, we called MinnKota to express concern. He had just spent $200 and 2 hours of drive time to have a marina remove his engine so the bracket could be put on. One of the people on the phone made a comment that they had had the problem a while back. Does not sound like it was fixed or the bad inventory was not contained or recalled from their customers. All I can say is that my friend will never get that bracket apart.
    Yeah, I want to avoid smashing them together. Just ordered another one and will send this one back.

9. Member
    give this a try put them in cold area, like top of the fridge and freeze one and see if its better (wrap it in plastic tell wife its christmas ham if she ask lol) it might work

10. Banned
    Got the new bracket today, they went together like butter. Definitely a defect in the other set.